Improving lighting in Care Home room

referee50

Apr 24, 2013
My Dad is having to move rooms in his CH as he is changing from self-funding to Local Authority funding. His new room will be much darker than his previous one, and I am looking at a Daylight type light bulbs for the main ceiling light. Some research has shown a blueish white light, 300 to 400 lux with a colour temperature of more than 9000k has improved bahaviour and wellbeing for Altz/Dementia sufferers. I have also been looking at SAD lights, but as Dad tends to "tinker" with things, I was not sure how long a lamp would last! Has anyone else used these with any success?

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
I haven't had to use the lighting you describe myself but have noticed that many care homes do not have good lighting in bedrooms. I visited one care home where out of five bedrooms I looked at, two had either central light not working or bedside lamps lights which didn't work, so I do understand your concern.

xxTinaT

Last edited:

WILLIAMR

Account Closed
Apr 12, 2014
I haven't had to use the lighting you describe myself but have noticed that many care homes do not have good lighting in bedrooms. I visited one care home where out of five bedrooms I looked at, two had either central light not working or bedside lamps lights which didn't work, so I do understand your concern.

xxTinaT

Oddly when my step mother went in to care the light was not working in the middle of the room.
The carer reported it to the maintenance man and he was along with a new bulb.
He did say he checks the lights once a week and he will replace the bulbs in the mean time if he happens to notice them or if they are reported to him asap.
He said bedside lights are not good in a care home. In a previous home he worked at a resident started taking one apart when it was plugged in.

William

Katrine

Jan 20, 2011
England
MIL's unit has fixed reading lights above the beds, for the reason you mention William. Lamps are too dangerous.

referee50, I suspect the ceiling bulb is getting old. The light level drops considerably as 'energy saver' bulbs reach the end of their life. Ask the handyman to change it. I appreciate that the room itself has less natural light. Your dad may need the light on most of the time. I notice that in MIL's unit the bedroom lights tend to be left on. This is so the residents can make their way safely to their en suite toilet. Perhaps if there was an LED bulb your dad's light could be left on without wasting leckie?

You can now get a wide range of LED bulbs which, while not cheap to buy, will last a long time. Why not get a few different ones to try? They tend to be brighter than the old type of 'energy savers' so you don't have to go full wellie to get good lighting, even with a ceiling shade. I would say go for as warm a tone as you can with these. The light is white, not blue, but TBH I haven't found much difference in colour tone so far.

BTW, if the shade in his room is dirty it might be a matter of just changing the shade. The best kind to use in a bedroom would be the uplighter type because the bulb itself is fully shaded - you don't get glare when you are lying in bed looking upwards.

Last edited:

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
I have to say that the lighting in my husband's home was excellent. There was a large central light which had a switches for low and brighter light plus a light over the bedhead with an adjustable arm, high enough for it to be safe from interference.
I wouldn't have thought you should have to buy your own lighting.

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
Lightimg in Mum'sroom is particularly poor for her ( she is virtually blind). she has a bedside lamp and an Upright and over the shoulder floor lamp too( hers of course not the homes.)

mojo1943

Dec 19, 2013
North Devon