Improving dementia care in hospitals

Louise Lakey

Apr 19, 2007
Dear Talking Point members,

We would like your help to improve dementia care in hospitals

Alzheimer’s Society is investigating the quality of care that people receive for their dementia when they are admitted to hospital.

The results of the research will be used to inform a campaign to improve dementia care in hospitals, with a report published in the autumn.

We are asking people with dementia and carers to share their experiences with us by filling out a questionnaire by the end of May 2009.

A copy of the questionnaire and a pre-paid envelope has been put inside the April edition of the Living with Dementia magazine for Society members.

A copy of the questionnaire and envelope can also be requested from Louise Lakey on 020 7423 3581 or louise.lakey@alzheimers.org.uk

Alternatively the questionnaire can be downloaded from the Society’s website by clicking on this link
www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/documents_info.php?documentID=934

It can then be returned to Louise by email at louise.lakey@alzheimers.org.uk or by posting it to: Louise Lakey, Devon House, 58 St Katharine’s Way, London, E1W 1JX.

With best wishes,
Louise

Louise Lakey
Senior policy officer

DianeB

May 29, 2008
nottinghamshire
I have sent mine via email, if there are any problems please let me know. I bet when you start to read my answers you will unfortunately be dismayed. The biggest bug bear I have got throughout the whole of my Mums dementia, is her stay in hospital, it was an utter DISGRACE!!!
Thank you for starting a questionaire ;)

JPG1

Account Closed
Jul 16, 2008
Disgraceful

Unsurprisingly perhaps, the words "disgrace" and "disgraceful" are two words that appear in my response to Louise.

Louise, have you considered creating a similar questionnaire about Assessment Wards in Hospitals?

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
Hi Louise,

I think the questionnaire is excellent and hits the nail right on the head, for our experience, except it doesn't ask us to specify the hospital in question. I think that hospitals who perform poorly when dealing with dementia patients should be named and shamed.

Despite that, I am relishing completing it. ;)

DianeB

May 29, 2008
nottinghamshire
Well if asked I would quite gladly name and shame the hospital my Mum was in. The worry is it's classed as a teaching hospital too :eek:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarah R