Improvements in behaviour

LunaJ

Mar 24, 2021
My Mother was diagnosed with dementia in March, and for a while before and after diagnosis was displaying lots of dementia symptoms. She was wandering late at night, and sometimes very early in the morning, had some bad spells of confusion and delirium, not recognising her house, thinking people were having all night parties in her bedroom etc, etc. She would literally spend all day wandering aimlessly from room to room searching for things that she'd 'lost'.

In the past 6 weeks or so, all of these symptoms have disappeared. Apart from her memory being poor, you wouldn't know there is anything wrong with her. Is this likely to be temporary, are all the symptoms likely to reappear at some time?

Does anyone know if there are potential reasons for sudden improvements? Or are there just blips sometimes? I have wondered if it's down to the summer weather, my Mother spends a lot of time pottering outside in her garden and it also keeps her physically active. By contrast, outwith summer, she's been cooped up indoors with no company except me once a day, and has lost all ability or interest in any hobbies or indoor activities. She was a big reader and knitter, but doesn't read now as she can't remember the gist of a story, and can't knit as she forgets where she is in a pattern. I wonder if boredom, loneliness and lack of sunshine have a very detrimental effect?

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
My husband was diagnosed with Alzheimer's 7 years ago and I have noticed that he seems to go through phases of when he can be calm and in a good frame of mind then he can switch to being grumpy and cantankerous without any particular reason that I can see.

My husband has continued to play bridge all this time and I think it has been a major factor in keeping him interested and mentally active.

With lockdown, he was unable to go to his club but regularly played online which wasn't quite the same but still better than nothing. Playing bridge involves a partner as nd he spends a lot of time on the phone discussing the day's game.

Possibly your mum is responding to getting out in the garden and the warmth of summer as a contrast to lockdown during winter and the lack of social contact and stimulation that it brought.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent

Hello @LunaJ

I remember my husband`s consultant advising me to get him out into the sunshine as much as possible so these sunny days may indeed be helping your mother.

I also remember his advice to keep the house as well lit as possible during the dark winter months, so perhaps brightness is the important factor.

Is your mother on medication for dementia? Perhaps the medication is now becoming effective.

LunaJ

Mar 24, 2021
Thank you for your replies, when the summer comes to an end, I'll try some extra lighting in my mother's house, although she'll likely turn it all off to save on electricity!

She's not on any dementia medication, she refused it, but that may happen in time.

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jackiejan