Importance of a break

Nell

Aug 9, 2005
Australia
I've just had a week away (down the South Coast of NSW) with beloved hubby and a couple who are our very good friends. Ate too much, slept a lot, visited every "tourist trap" in the vicinity!

I was absolutely wrung out, exhausted, severely depressed and basically hanging on by a thread before we went.

I can only say that whilst I'm not a "new person", I'm very much refreshed and better able to "keep on keeping on".

Please, all of you who are feeling at the end of your tether, consider taking a break if you possibly can. I know personal circumstances vary and it isn't always possible, but if you can do ANYTHING to give yourself some "time off" and a bit of extra rest, I can highly recommend it.

For those feeling any guilt about respite, day care or any other "break" from your beloved dementia person, just give that Guilt Monster a HUGE kick! It isn't only necessary to have a break for our own sakes, it is an important part of being able to provide on-going care for the ones we love.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Hey Nell: I'm glad you had a good time.

I've always wanted to visit Australia, even after reading "A sunburned country" by Bill Bryson: have you read that?

Jennifer

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dear Nell,

I`m so pleased you enjoyed your holiday, it sounded as if you really needed it.

Love xx

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Pleased to read you had a lovely time .

I can only say that whilst I'm not a "new person", I'm very much refreshed and better able to "keep on keeping on".
this year
Oh I no that feeling, in how I feel when I went aboard . I have had respite this year , but never felt so refrested as I did when i went aboard. I've not gone out of this country since last September and I am getting the DT :D

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
Well done, Nell!

For yourself and for that 'heads up' to others .... even the best batteries don't go on on forever without a good recharge, huh? :rolleyes:

I've just had notice from my Outreach Worker of a 'Carer's grant' which may be available in the UK - 'not means tested and does not affect any benefits' - sure there are many more more deserving than me .....but it's good to know it's recognised that caring - in all sorts of capacities - means we DO need a break ... even a 'one-off' treat .... some pampering ......

Really should do my homework on this ..... it may have been aired before here .... gather it's through the Princess Royal Trust ....... others may know more .....

Love, Karen, x

Nell

Aug 9, 2005
Australia
Thanks to all of you for your replies. I DO feel strongly about this because I am conscious that my load is insignificant compared to that of many, many others. If I can get so overwhelmed by the caring aspect of my life, I just cannot imagine how many others on TP just keep on managing - and with such good heart and good humour!! Amazing people you are!!

Jennifer, I haven't read "A Sunburnt Country" but am fairly sure my husband has. I read a lot but mostly fiction. I have a particular preference for murder mysteries!! :eek: My husband says of me that there is nothing I like better than a "good serial killer"!! (I hasten to add that this is ONLY true in the fictional sense!)

Sylvia and Maggie: Thanks for your good wishes. You are two of the people I mentioned above - my real heroes of TP. I wish I could wave a magic wand for both of you (and many others) but sadly, my "magic" isn't very powerful!!

Karen, that IS good news about the "Carer's Grant" - and no more of this business about "others more deserving", OK??!!!! :) I'm sure there will be MANY people interested on TP in finding out how you get on with it. Good Luck!

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Also a mystery reader here: personally I like my murders domestic and I like my detectives to NOT be angst ridden: I have enough of that in real life!

I listen to Bill Bryson on my ipod when I'm driving or travelling: you get some funny looks when you're laughing like a hyena but oh well..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ArthurPOA