Implications of being sectioned?

Sky1

Aug 30, 2020
Mum has dementia. It is hoped that she will move into residential care shortly. Before moving into care, Mum was to be admitted to hospital for scan, observation and stabilisation (she has hallucinations).

Mum is refusing to attend hospital.

Sectioning has been mentioned. To move her into safety and further evaluation of her condition, i can see that it is for the best, but what are the implication of being sectioned?

Will it have any repercussions, from care home, for her future treatment or anything else?

I'm feeling so lost on all of this. Sky1

Linsac

Aug 14, 2020
Hi Sky my mum was sectioned after being admitted through A&E suffering from delirium. If the PWD is refusing to be assessed or treated, then this is the only way.

However, be prepared that if she is sectioned, then she will mostly likely spend at least 4 weeks on a Mental health ward being assessed. My mum was there for 11 weeks before being discharged to a care home for respite care and we are still trying to get her back home with a care package. There will not be any repercussions as such but as I said, be prepared that things tend to move very slowly. My mum was put on a section 3 after 28 days for further assessment/treatment which means she now gets aftercare provided for life i.e care home fees or care at home.

Hope that helps and you r mum gets the help she needs.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Hello @Sky1 There aren't any 'repercussions' as such. If sectioned for evaluation then a decision may be made to detain the person for treatment. If that happens then on discharge they would be eligible for aftercare funding which would mean that the local authority/NHS would put a care plan in place, find a suitable care home (if necessary) and pay the fees. In your mum's case it may not get that far - evaluation and medication to reduce the hallucinations may be all that is required. This fact sheet is really helpful at explaining sectioning and what happens afterwards: https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-s...tions-mental-health-act-are-relevant-dementia

Sky1

Aug 30, 2020
Hi @Linsac
Thank you for your reply.
11 weeks that is a long time.
When talking to Mum's Psych Dr, we didn't discuss time scales but I did ask if i could / should plan for residential care for 'a few days later' and the response was 'yes'. I fully appreciate that each PWD is different and everything is individual, but thanks for the heads up that it might be longer than i thought.

I'm asking what if questions on everything and trying to put tentative plans in place. And i still don't know if I'm doing the right thing on any of it. I'm sure this is typical.

Hi Sky my mum was sectioned after being admitted through A&E suffering from delirium. If the PWD is refusing to be assessed or treated, then this is the only way.

However, be prepared that if she is sectioned, then she will mostly likely spend at least 4 weeks on a Mental health ward being assessed. My mum was there for 11 weeks before being discharged to a care home for respite care and we are still trying to get her back home with a care package. There will not be any repercussions as such but as I said, be prepared that things tend to move very slowly. My mum was put on a section 3 after 28 days for further assessment/treatment which means she now gets aftercare provided for life i.e care home fees or care at home.

Hope that helps and you r mum gets the help she needs.

Sky1

Aug 30, 2020
Thanks @Louise7 My thinking is the same as yours evaluation and medication is all that is required. Thanks for the link.

Hello @Sky1 There aren't any 'repercussions' as such. If sectioned for evaluation then a decision may be made to detain the person for treatment. If that happens then on discharge they would be eligible for aftercare funding which would mean that the local authority/NHS would put a care plan in place, find a suitable care home (if necessary) and pay the fees. In your mum's case it may not get that far - evaluation and medication to reduce the hallucinations may be all that is required. This fact sheet is really helpful at explaining sectioning and what happens afterwards: https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-s...tions-mental-health-act-are-relevant-dementia

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
In my opinion to be sectioned is a gift.
The level of staffing is a dream compared to care homes.
A full team of professionals can tweak the medication, until hopefully they find the correct fit!
Have you been reading on the site about others living with daily aggression, being made to wait unspecified times , to even discuss a change Of medication?
I would grab the chance with open arms, ( though I can understand how difficult it must be for you)

Sky1

Aug 30, 2020
thanks for your post @Weasell

as i understand it, Mum would be evaluated in a local psychiatric hospital for a few days. although, i know i might be wrong.

yes, i have read other people's experiences on TP and am stunned. i don't know if its right to say i've been Woke

all best

In my opinion to be sectioned is a gift.
The level of staffing is a dream compared to care homes.
A full team of professionals can tweak the medication, until hopefully they find the correct fit!
Have you been reading on the site about others living with daily aggression, being made to wait unspecified times , to even discuss a change Of medication?
I would grab the chance with open arms, ( though I can understand how difficult it must be for you)

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
Sorry, I have realised I have not really answered your question.
One risk of being sectioned!
I presume at present she is presumed to have no capacity?
What if the sectioning does such a good job they return her to capacity and she then uses her right to choice to return home?
( It may be remote, but is a possibility?)

Having pointed out the risk, if it was me I would still accept the hospital place.