Imitation lighter for smoker with dementia

Neraks

Jan 19, 2020
My mother is a smoker with dementia. We have got realistic looking fake cigarettes, light up at the end vape things. However, she keeps trying to light them. Is there an imitation lighter available? Something like an led light that looks like a flame. Have looked at theatrical props and magic tricks as well as dementia products, but I can't find anything. The closest I have found was a concert fake lighter that doesn't look realistic. Can anyone help?
Thanks

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Welcome to the forum @Neraks. Sorry I have no experience or input to your problem, but there is a wealth of experience here and someone will be around to help or advise.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Would a lighter with no gas in it work? Flick it, inhale and see the end is glowing red?

( tell her it has a clear flame?)

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
I agree with Jessbow. If you get one of the disposable electronic lighters, (cheap from pound shops and elsewhere!) then run it out of gas, it will still click and produce the piezo spark when pressed but no flame.

That might work!

Neraks

Jan 19, 2020
That might just work! One of those click to light emptied. It seems to be a common perception that people with dementia will forget about smoking. Although Mum may not remember how to cook, dress herself or follow a conversation, she remains obsessed about smoking. Thanks for the idea.

prodigal-son

Feb 1, 2019
If your mother might ever meet someone who smokes real cigarettes – especially perhaps someone with dementia – be careful they don't offer her a real lighter on seeing that hers has run out. The chances are probably small but I'd think about it.

Good luck!

Gemsie

Jan 31, 2023
That might just work! One of those click to light emptied. It seems to be a common perception that people with dementia will forget about smoking. Although Mum may not remember how to cook, dress herself or follow a conversation, she remains obsessed about smoking. Thanks for the idea.
Hi, I’m sorry to message 3 years later but I wondered if you could help me find the fake cigarettes you found for your Mum? My Mum has advanced frontotemporal dementia as well as Lewy bodies and she is obsessed with smoking so we are trying to find a good imitation to make the experience safer for her. Thanks so much in advance.

Laurie Riley

Dec 26, 2022
My mum switched to vapes after being sectioned in hospital. Much safer than lightening cigarettes. She doesn’t use it much now but as long as it’s in her handbag she’s ok

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joins