Imaginary visitors

Rainbowbridge

Sep 20, 2020
My mother lives with us, and every so often she talks about ‘the nice man / woman’ who visited her in her room.
Nobody has visited. She has a TV in her room, and was wondering if between dozing off and watching the TV has
created these people. Not sure how to respond to this.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @Rainbowbridge. Welcome to Dementia Talking Point.

My husband both confused those on TV with real people and hallucinated by seeing people in the home. Some of the television people frightened him , especially if they were loud and aggressive or even too boisterous. This made me monitor the programmes he watched.

I asked if he was frightened by the people he saw in the house and he wasn`t, so I let them be.

I did wonder if any of the medication my husband was taking caused the hallucinations. Is your mother on any medication? If so perhaps you could have a word with her doctor.

Rainbowbridge

Sep 20, 2020
Thanks Grannie G...not sure about the medication, but I’ll follow it up with our GP. Same as your Husband, none of her ‘ visitors’ frightened her. We do monitor what she watches, but not always. but what does cheer her up is watching old TV programmes or films. I suppose her long term memory is still there, and it brings back the good old days.
thank again Grannies G

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I used to buy DVDs of my husband`s favourite harmless shows. The best were Dad`s Army and Only Fools and Horses. We played these over and over again and they brought him continuous pleasure.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Welcome to the forum from me too, @Rainbowbridge. I notice you said your mother was dozing when she had those hallucinations . My partner occasionally wakes up talking about a dream she had as if it is actually happening. Music usually settles her down too.

Utrinque

Sep 24, 2020
Hi Rainbowbridge

My Dad often thinks people on TV are addressing him personally and vice versa. It's usually nothing sinister and he will wave to people and smile or say 'hello' and 'goodbye'. On occasions, this has extended to him believing people are actually in the room (usually if he has just woken up after dozing in front of the box) and he once thought someone from Flog It had come to value the stuff in his living room to sell. That one caused him some anxiety and he was quite insistent that it was something we had to do something about, but I just had to reassure him and eventually he was fine.

MarleysMum

Sep 17, 2020
My Mum used to talk and laugh with imaginary people, it could be quite spooky at times (I wondered if she could see something we couldn’t ?). But as long as it didn’t upset her we just left her with it. Unfortunately in time the laughs turned to arguments with these imaginary people so she was then prescribed drugs to stop the hallucination ? So I would say as long as it’s not upsetting your loved one, just go along with it

Ramblingrose

Feb 2, 2020
We too have the imaginary visitors. Often when I am with mother she asks who the other lady is. She doesn't recognise me too often. There have been children, babies, dogs, cats, her mother and father. I don't know how they all fit in as it is only a two bedroom house. One thing, she can see people or animals which are actually a coat for example over a chair. Objects outside are people who she will wave at and talk to. We have had the UTI and blood tests with no problem so it is one part of dementia. I could go on forever with Tales of Mystery and Imagination.

I spoke to a neighbour whose hubby has dementia and he displays exactly the same behaviour.