Imaginary friends

asone

Jul 21, 2006
york
Today my Dad has started talking to 'someone'. He is sat outside in a garden chair having a very animated conversation, smiling, talking and listening. Although he has 'seen' people and dead bodies before he has not had conversations with them. Is this a lasting phase in anyones experiences or just a passing one?
afternote: when he thought the 'little boy' had gone he was upset.

Last edited:

Amy

Jan 4, 2006
Hiya asone,
Good that it was a frienly friend. I don't know how long it will take, but I am sure this phase will pass in time; but if dad is content talking, that's good.
Love Helen

mel

Apr 30, 2006
Sheffield
Hi asone
Mum chatters away most of the day(this has been happening for about 4-5 months) ....not sure to whom but occasionally she relays to me that they've said they'll take her home, or they chat about army days or the family....it seems to be ok as she's happy to be talking to friendly people....:)
love
Wendy

Lila13

Feb 24, 2006
My mother talked to an invisible man called Gordon who sat at the bottom of her bed. there were imaginary social workers called Adrian and Antonio, there were Shona and Podsnap who annoyed both my mother and myself by filling up my answering-machine with their silly messages, and Shurey and Purey who wafted a message to her to go to the pub in her nightie after dark.

Michael E

Apr 14, 2005
Ronda Spain
For over a year now Monique has chatted away to 'friends' I cannot quite make out! It has become somewhat less intensive recently but it's still there.

Was thinking about it = I wonder if it's partly because be the 'patient' is so lonely. Has no social life, other than us no constant communication or reason for social exchange.. There was that movie about the guy working for FedEx who's plane crashed on a desert island and inside a parcel was a football and he struck up a really good friendship with the football and had long meaningful discussions with the ball........

Having AD might just be a tiny bit like being Robinson Crusoe - but not able to work out why - so they talk to their 'footballs' and other 'odd friends'.

If you can cope with it there is probably no harm in it - lets face it - we can all imagine more interesting and amusing people than those we actually know!

Michael

Kayla

May 14, 2006
Kent
At first, the imaginary people that Mum saw were shadowy, dark men or blobs and they were silent. She couldn't talk to them because if she did they ignored her.
In hospital, she started talking as if she was on the phone to someone, and she thought she had spoken to people who were many miles away.
Now, in the NH, she still tells me about conversations she's had with relations who I know haven't visited and she talks to my Dad, who died six years ago. Sometimes reality and imagination are mixed up together in her mind and I have to check with staff to find out if certain things are true. Often, she has been reliving a memory from the past, so I just listen and don't attempt to contradict her.
At least now, her imaginary friends are friendly, whereas last year, when she was in her own home, the imaginary people frightened her.
Kayla

asone

Jul 21, 2006
york
Friends, real or not

Hi all.....thanks for your replies.....yes, I think you are right, as long as they are happy what does it matter. At least my Mum knew where he was whilst he was just sat there 'chatting' and not on one of his wanders. I know that people tend to avoid talking to him because they don't know what to say or what fantasy he will come out with so until we manage to get some helpers arranged the imaginary will probably help. I hope.

maria29al

Mar 15, 2006
Warwickshire
My mum talks to people on the TV...they are her "friends" especially Noel Edmunds on "deal or no deal"..she thinks he is talking only to her and gets all girly giggly!!"!!!

M
x

Lila13

Feb 24, 2006
Yes, certainly loneliness. They seemed to disappear when she was in hospital and in the respite place as she had real people to make up stories about. But she wouldn't try any of the day centres.

Amy

Jan 4, 2006
What a lovely picture Maria - made me smile. Thank you.
Love Helen