Imaginary errands

OMG

Apr 13, 2015
LIVE IN CARER OF AN ELDERLY MAN WITH DEMENTIA : Can't really think how to word the problem - so have called it "imaginary errands"! My patient will begin imagining there is an errand or action to carry out and that it must be completed! My patient will begin to obsess early one morning and continue to rifle through his desk ALL DAY, consult atlases, tell me the name of the place he needs to send something to, and ask me to call someone and ask them an address ... oh my mind just boggles with all the intricacies and complications he "thinks up" ! I have done this work for 9 years, there isn't much I don't know. But this is a real problem - I CAN NOT DISTRACT HIM - other times I can but when this particular behaviour is happening NOTHING will distract him. Nothing. He worries and stresses and is in a nightmare of worry.

susy

Jul 29, 2013
North East
What happens if you just go along with it?

This IS his reality at that time. It would be like you know that you need to care for this man and if someone else comes in and tells you to not feed him when you are there, ever then you would feel disturbed by this and need to speak to people to get this dealt with..... Well what if someone tells you that didn't happen.... You were there, it was said, what are you talking about?
Get how confusing that is!
I hate this disease

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
I recognise this behaviour because my husband has been obsessing about work for a year. He wakes in the morning planning what tools to take, what sandwiches to make up, what transport he will need - it just goes on and on. He is 82 and retired in 1996!

He was prescribed Trazodone which is an anti anxiety drug and it has undoubtedly helped. He still thinks he has to go to work but is easier to distract and once the day begins to take shape forgets about it.

OMG

Apr 13, 2015
Thanks so much

I recognise this behaviour because my husband has been obsessing about work for a year. He wakes in the morning planning what tools to take, what sandwiches to make up, what transport he will need - it just goes on and on. He is 82 and retired in 1996!

He was prescribed Trazodone which is an anti anxiety drug and it has undoubtedly helped. He still thinks he has to go to work but is easier to distract and once the day begins to take shape forgets about it.

Thank-you so much for this! I will definitely consult his doctor as soon as I can.
And I can't tell you how much I empathise and sympathise! At least I could give up this job if it got too hard. You are am incredible person and I hope you get some breaks, sometimes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryMc086