I'm unsure how to handle this.

mojobrad

Jan 11, 2014
Mum has been in a care home for about 3 months. She's in the late stages of dementia. I visit her once a week but tend to spend more time with my dad so that he can enjoy more freedom.

My mum has been in bed the last few times that I have visited. I've been told this is because she's up at night. That was her usual pattern to be fair before she went into the care home.

I visited her yesterday, with my Dad. She looked very frail but appeared chirpy. But she has thrush in her mouth which is being treated.

Is this something that happens? Or should I be doing more for Mum?

susy

Jul 29, 2013
North East
Oral thrush happens a lot in elderly folk. Usually their bodies are running down and they simply are more prone to it. The care home has picked this up and are treating it. They obviously have involved a Dr as care homes will not give medication without prescription. I think you are doing your best and nothing you could have done would prevented this from happening.
Oral thrush can be a bit of a catch 22 situation. She may not be eating or drinking as well as she was causing a dry mouth or if she wears dentures they may not fit as well as they did before, then she develops thrush and her mouth tastes yuk and it's sore to eat, so she doesn't eat or drink as much.....
It's something to be expected really as this disease progresses.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello mojobrad

If your mother will eat unsweetened natural yoghurt it might help with the oral Thrush.

mojobrad

Jan 11, 2014
Oral thrush happens a lot in elderly folk. Usually their bodies are running down and they simply are more prone to it. The care home has picked this up and are treating it. They obviously have involved a Dr as care homes will not give medication without prescription. I think you are doing your best and nothing you could have done would prevented this from happening.
Oral thrush can be a bit of a catch 22 situation. She may not be eating or drinking as well as she was causing a dry mouth or if she wears dentures they may not fit as well as they did before, then she develops thrush and her mouth tastes yuk and it's sore to eat, so she doesn't eat or drink as much.....
It's something to be expected really as this disease progresses.

Thank you for your support. You have put my mind at rest :)

mojobrad

Jan 11, 2014
If your mother will eat unsweetened natural yoghurt it might help with the oral Thrush.

Yesterday she wouldn't eat her dinner and as I say she's looking very frail now. Perhaps the yoghourt is a good idea but it was something she never really liked. :) It's definitely worth a try though.

Thank you for your support.

susy

Jul 29, 2013
North East
If she doesn't like the yoghurt then just try and find soft foods that are not acidic (like fruit) to try and tempt her. Warm, not hot drinks can soothe too. The treatment which is a liquid that bathes the mouth is very affective so just keep trying. Don't be disheartened.

jorgieporgie

Mar 2, 2016
YORKSHIRE
Hi There. We was told to give pineapple to suck, I know not to give fruit but apparently it works. Has she been on any anit-biotics recently that sometimes causes thrush. I am sure it will be sorted, it is quiet common in the elderly. Best wishes.x

mojobrad

Jan 11, 2014
If she doesn't like the yoghurt then just try and find soft foods that are not acidic (like fruit) to try and tempt her. Warm, not hot drinks can soothe too. The treatment which is a liquid that bathes the mouth is very affective so just keep trying. Don't be disheartened.

Thank you :)

mojobrad

Jan 11, 2014
Hi There. We was told to give pineapple to suck, I know not to give fruit but apparently it works. Has she been on any anit-biotics recently that sometimes causes thrush. I am sure it will be sorted, it is quiet common in the elderly. Best wishes.x

Mum used to love pineapple. I remember this because I was never all that keen. I like it now though. Thank you.

So far as I know she's not been on any anti-biotics. Dad's very specific with the care home that he doesn't want my sister involved or me - just him. But usually he tells me (and the home does too (secretly)).

mojobrad

Jan 11, 2014
I had a call today from Mum's care home.

They said that she's lost 7Kg in the last month.

My Dad is her next of kin but couldn't hear what he was being told. When I called him he said I'm not surprised they don't feed her. :-(

I'm really concerned. The care home called the GP and said that there may be an underlying problem. I called them back and asked them whether they could record what she eats and drinks. They said they would do this for me.