I'm trying to deal with my loss...

piedwarbler

Aug 3, 2010
South Ribble
Hello there... can I just let a few things out...I am going to sound bitter and twisted...

Firstly I went back to work today. Didn't sleep last night, as you will have seen if you noticed the wide awake thread! Work was lovely, all my colleagues were diamonds, very kind and thoughtful and gentle. The children were lovely too. One class said sorry and gasped when I told them. They thought I had broken my wrist! (Chinese whispers).

The day went downhill when I got a phone call from the nursing home's head office, which is about 5 miles from here. It was R, a girl who works in the office and does the paperwork. "Oh, hi Pied," she said. "How are you?" "Ok thanks," I said, automatically... then she said "I suppose so... in the circumstances...", and gave a little laugh, almost an embarrassed laugh. Then she said when was I intending to remove Mum's bed from the room, as they wanted it gone.

I bought the electric profiling bed for Mum when she moved to this home, it cost £650 and I bought it because I could not persuade the owners of the "nursing home" (the clue is in the name) to purchase this item for my sick mum who could not sit up unaided, and who lived in her bed 24/7. The PCT said the nursing home should buy it, the nursing home said the PCT should buy it. Result, I bought it.

When Mum died I told the staff I would donate the bed to the home in the hope that the next resident would enjoy using it. After all, the owners of the home won't get any pleasure from it. They are too busy driving round in their Mercedes.

Anyway, R said the owners were not prepared to take on the bed, as I "hadn't had it serviced and it was not kept in a good state of repair". They said I had signed a paper agreeing to service it at my own cost - I had never been asked to sign such a piece of paper. I had to remove the bed by tonight.

Bear in mind I was at work at this point. I frantically rang the local hospice and children's hospice and neither of them wanted the bed. In desperation I rang the people who sold me the bed. They were absolutely lovely. Even though they are a big company, one of the guys in the delivery department agreed to meet me at the home and dismantle the bed and put it in his van and take it home til I could get rid of it.

I was nearly in tears by this time when R phoned me back and said the directors of the home would be pleased to accept the bed as a gift from me and said twice "Thank you very much" to which I said "you're welcome" with gritted teeth.

I have therefore donated a £650 bed to a home where the owners drive round in £50 000 cars.

I find it so hard to believe that people who are in the "healthcare business" as the director's son told me when my mum was dying and was lying on a broken air mattress can be so unfeeling towards people who haven't done anyone any harm.

On top of this my second sadness tonight is that the vicar who is leading my mum's second funeral on Sunday is the person who visited my mum for a year while my mum was nursing a huge tumour which she told this vicar about, and which this vicar did nothing about. I am going to find it very hard on Sunday to greet this vicar and thank her for leading this service when she knew the state of health of my mum but did not alert her GP or her family. I know vicars act in confidence and all that and I guess maybe she felt she had no option but to keep Mum's confidence but I don't see why she couldn't have told Mum's GP even if she didn't tell us.

So anyway those are my moans. I know I have to "let go and move on" as Mr Pied has said today, and that's an end to it, but I thought if I just wrote it all down, I might find it a tiny bit easier to let go of it all.

Does it get any easier? I do feel very very flat, and low, and not my normal self. Nothing feels like it might be fun, or enjoyable. My daughter is about to leave primary school, and I ought to be enjoying her last couple of weeks, and I feel so guilty that I am down in the dumps when I should be laughing for her. She keeps giving me lovely big hugs. I need to get a grip! :eek:

And the last thing is... I don't want to go to this funeral on Sunday. More readings, more hymns, more prayers, more flowers. I've had enough of them. I just want to sit in my garden and watch the birds.

Told you I was going to sound bitter and twisted, didn't I?:eek::(

(The only thing I keep thinking is, there have been more good and kind people in my life today than nasty and unkind people, and I have to hold on to that... but it doesn't feel easy to do that.)

Last edited:

angelface

Oct 8, 2011
london
I have been following your threads, and send my respect for what a wonderful daughter you have been to your mum.

I think at this stage everything hurts you, and it may well be a long and slow time before things come back to some type of normality. Be very gentle with your self.

G x

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
There is nothing bitter and twisted about what you have said Pied. There is lots about how you are feeling right now and why. Mixed feelings I would say. With regard to the bed and the home, it seems part of you wanted another ill person to benefit from it and therefore you were willing to donate it. However, it also galls that the home owners could have at least offered to buy it. Such mixed feelings you have to contend with.

Then the vicar. I imagine there might be more to that story than you know. Is there any chance you could speak to the vicar before Sunday and tell her that you would like to get something off your chest? There doesn't need to be any accusations but you simply asking for understanding. If she is a woman of G-d, she will be pleased to have this opportunity to draw close to you. I am the kind of person that has to address things as I really don't like having things fester inside of me. Other people have their own ways of dealing with things. I truly hope you will find what works best for you Pied.

Love and a (HUG)

angelface

Oct 8, 2011
london
I think at this stage all the emotions are mixed up. Everything is raw, and once you get over the initial numb feeling, all hell seems to break loose.

Surely you are entitled to be upset and sensetive, you have just lost your mum!

Just hang in there, eventually will start to calm down. Sadly it doen'nt happen over night, so wish it could for you.

CeliaW

Jan 29, 2009
Hampshire
Pied - in my humble opinion, I think you are doing the best thing by writing your thoughts and upsets here as often the very act of putting it all in writing can be very cathartic. It won't change what has happened but it will change how you deal with it and hopefully lessen the pain and upset if you also read the comments you will get from your TP family.

You need to allow yourself to have chaotic emotions and feelings for a while - if there is such a thing as normal then that is it. We all react differently to loss and stress and also to how we cope with what follows on from losing someone. Something so huge has happened in your life, you have lost someone so special - yet people persist in being difficult/ unhelpful etc and all the old upsets and grievances come back to give you more distress.

So a gentle, supportive hug for you dear Pied, keep talking, keep typing and keep having lots of hugs with your lovely daughter. Let her know how precious her support is and also that it is natural to be a bit up and down but things will sort themselves out and she is a huge help to you. Sometimes kids understand and deal with things better than we give them credit for.

I hope you get a better nights sleep tonight - although maybe a good nights sleep is more likely to happen after you have had the service on Sunday.

Bitter and twisted? No, just finding your way through the emotions of loss and grieving and trying to fit back into everyday life.

With love

Celia
xx

grove

Aug 24, 2010
North Yorkshire
Hello Pied , Am sorry for all the hurt & other feelings :( you have had today & I think the N H behaved very badly about the Bed & can understand why you were nearly in tears Am glad Little P keeps on giving you lots of lovely Big Hugs :) tho , she sounds very caring just like her Mum

Sending much Love , Comfort & BIG HUGS

Love Grove x x x x x

piedwarbler

Aug 3, 2010
South Ribble
Thanks everyone I thought you'd think I was awful.
I've sent an e mail to the vicar just saying I'd like to understand what she knew of Mum's illness. Maybe she was really torn and that would probably make me feel better if she was. If I don't ask I'll never know.
I really really don't want to go to this funeral. I feel it will bring back all my awful memories of when Mum lived at home. X. That's really bad. I should want to go and I don't. I really really don't. :(

grove

Aug 24, 2010
North Yorkshire
Dearest Pied , Nobody on T P would think you were awful at all least of all the T P 'ers who posted on your other * Thread & as for going to the Service on Sunday all your Circle of T P friends will be there with you Pied including me to give you all the support you need

Much Love & Comfort

Love Grove x x x x

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Sorry tidy has been bad for you. The discussion with the home sounds awful.

It must be hard having Sunday hanging over you.

piedwarbler

Aug 3, 2010
South Ribble
Now my sister says if we have to cancel I have to let everyone know!!
I guess this was bound to happen ... Stress ... Tempers fraying ..,

garnuft

Sep 7, 2012
It's ok not to want to go Pied.
It doesn't mean you won't go, it just means you don't want to go.

I can only draw on experience and say to you that the things you dread the most tend not to be as dreadful as you anticipated.

You have endured so much, it's the final push.

Much love, chin up, march forward. xxx

horserider100

Jan 30, 2013
manchester
hi

my mum has advanced alzhimers now. but my tale is about your loss , please my thoughts are with you at this difficult time. my dad had bowel cancer many years ago now. he was admitted to hospital. from the day he went in 6 weeks later he was dead.
i visited 3 times a day even though i have a full time job, employers were fantastic. in the last 3 weeks i found my dad sat in his own mess, his food and drink was left at the end of his bed, never eaten he could no longer move himself. the day he died we asked the docs what was going on, has the cancer spread, they said they did not know. i was called mid afternoon to go to hospital asap. at 2.00 pm a nurse came and said she needed to move my dad over in his bed, she did this and as she walked passed me she said you had better go in as he is dying now, so callous. i went in as his life left him and held his hand. sorry i carnt wright anymore. its just money to them, yours jh

grobertson62

Mar 7, 2011
Sheffield
Hi Pied
Its not awful its not bitter and not twisted
I am so sorry that the home havent been supportive to you.
I hope that you find some comfort from the support on here

Will be thinking of you

Gill

piedwarbler

Aug 3, 2010
South Ribble
It's enormously comforting yes, thanks, specially Gwen. Chin up - I'll try.
I am worried about you Horserider. Thanks for posting and I'm so sorry for your loss and the insensitivity of the nurse. So sorry. Xxxx

horserider100

Jan 30, 2013
manchester
last thing to do

sorry about my rant, i was in the same place as you are now. you said you do want to go to the funeral. i didnt, but i did and it gave me closure, also on the drive to the cemetery, the amount of poeple who bowed, or did the sign of the cross gave me great strengh, so many strangers sharing you hurt. also the amount of past friends my dads, mums and mine who attended showed me the respect my dad was held in by so many friends. it is hard but now so many years later i look back and remember it so much, i remain yours always john howard

Nanak

Mar 25, 2010
Brisbane Australia
Hi Pied
I understand completely how you feel. As much as you don't feel it now you are a very strong person and will get through Sunday.
Take it minute by minute. I hope you hear back from the Vicar.
My thoughts are with you
Nanak (Kim)

florence43

Jul 1, 2009
London
OK...it's another long one!

Dear Pied,

The funeral is such a difficult occasion and for you to have to attend it twice must be so, so hard.

When my dad died, as the first parent I lost, I was in such a tizzy about the funeral. I was quite angry that I had to go through it. I kept telling people that I wish it was like it is with pets, that when they die, we are left alone, in private, to be sad. I couldn't imagine where I'd get the strength to get up and get ready for the day I never thought would come. My dad's funeral. Those words alone would send a chill to my heart. To have to choose what to wear, do my hair and make-up, smile and make conversation...when all I wanted to do was be alone to absorb it all. Somehow, it happened though.

With mum's funeral, (and again, those simple words still seem so wrong), I was more prepared. I knew how the "letting go" had helped when I lost dad, and I finally understood the reason for the funeral which had confused and perplexed me so much the first time. In a strange way, I almost looked forward to it. I needed to reach that step. I wanted the flatness and numbness that had wrapped around me since her death to be gone, and I had hoped the funeral would help with that. It did. And although it was still a huge struggle to do that hair and make-up and all the trivial acts in order to be ready, it was for the greater good and I remember taking a huge breath and putting on a face to be able to greet the guests who would be there.

However, once there...it felt like it was only me in the church. Me and my mum. My grief took over and it was immensely private. I was really there. At my mum's funeral. The words kept going round my head as if the confirm I wasn't dreaming. And the release was good.

My only advice would be to step back a lot. I became acutely aware after losing both parents that my sister was the only direct family I had left and that became, quite suddenly, of huge importance, no matter what our differences were. I could feel mum & dad watching over us and how they would feel if we fell out. It was like when we were little, and how it would upset mum if we squabbled. She was still trying to keep the peace, even though we couldn't see her, but I really felt her keeping an eye on us.

When feelings run this high, and emotions shout louder that logic, words can be said that cannot be taken back, and sometimes, for the greater good it is better to let things go. Your grief is exclusively yours and that's a very lonely feeling. Nothing in the world can make other people, even your sister, who lost the same mum, understand why you feel like you do. So, my advice is to accept you feel like you do, and expect no one to understand that. Over time, you will be able to make some sense of these feelings but this will only happen in stages, which will happen at different times to your sister. They will be your feelings, no one else's, and you have to be gentle with yourself before others will be gentle to you. The strain of your loss, and all that led up to it will accumulate itself in arguments and stress, but the long and short of it is this:

Your lovely mum has gone, and she is peaceful now. What she leaves behind should, where possible, reflect this and no amount of detail or disagreement will change the fact she has gone. Nothing really matters except remembering the wonderful woman she was. Nothing. And whatever the disagreements are, they are probably not worth the stress. After all...what difference will they make? In reality, can you let some things slide? Is there anything important enough to fall out over?

Grief will make you act in strange ways, so every now and then, step back calmly and ask whether any of this really matters. I know that when my parents died, I just needed to be left alone. I didn't want to be talking about details, because I didn't like the fact we had to, and the cause of talking about those details. The whole reason we were even having to have discussions was because mum had died. Surely that was enough to contend with without these blooming details?

Maybe sometimes, after all the stress of caring for someone, we have trouble letting the adrenalin subside. Maybe the sudden stop hits too hard. No more phone calls, letters, emails, appointments, research, discussions.... We just get up and go about our quiet, very different, new life. Suddenly. No gentle let down. In the past few weeks you've gone from 80mph to stationary and when that happened to me I felt lost. So perhaps by throwing yourself into the details of the funeral makes you feel more like you have for so many years, but as long as you say farewell with love in your heart, that's really all that matters.

xxxxxxxxxxxxx

bridges

Jul 1, 2013
wirral
Hello there... can I just let a few things out...I am going to sound bitter and twisted...

Firstly I went back to work today. Didn't sleep last night, as you will have seen if you noticed the wide awake thread! Work was lovely, all my colleagues were diamonds, very kind and thoughtful and gentle. The children were lovely too. One class said sorry and gasped when I told them. They thought I had broken my wrist! (Chinese whispers).

The day went downhill when I got a phone call from the nursing home's head office, which is about 5 miles from here. It was R, a girl who works in the office and does the paperwork. "Oh, hi Pied," she said. "How are you?" "Ok thanks," I said, automatically... then she said "I suppose so... in the circumstances...", and gave a little laugh, almost an embarrassed laugh. Then she said when was I intending to remove Mum's bed from the room, as they wanted it gone.

I bought the electric profiling bed for Mum when she moved to this home, it cost £650 and I bought it because I could not persuade the owners of the "nursing home" (the clue is in the name) to purchase this item for my sick mum who could not sit up unaided, and who lived in her bed 24/7. The PCT said the nursing home should buy it, the nursing home said the PCT should buy it. Result, I bought it.

When Mum died I told the staff I would donate the bed to the home in the hope that the next resident would enjoy using it. After all, the owners of the home won't get any pleasure from it. They are too busy driving round in their Mercedes.

Anyway, R said the owners were not prepared to take on the bed, as I "hadn't had it serviced and it was not kept in a good state of repair". They said I had signed a paper agreeing to service it at my own cost - I had never been asked to sign such a piece of paper. I had to remove the bed by tonight.

Bear in mind I was at work at this point. I frantically rang the local hospice and children's hospice and neither of them wanted the bed. In desperation I rang the people who sold me the bed. They were absolutely lovely. Even though they are a big company, one of the guys in the delivery department agreed to meet me at the home and dismantle the bed and put it in his van and take it home til I could get rid of it.

I was nearly in tears by this time when R phoned me back and said the directors of the home would be pleased to accept the bed as a gift from me and said twice "Thank you very much" to which I said "you're welcome" with gritted teeth.

I have therefore donated a £650 bed to a home where the owners drive round in £50 000 cars.

I find it so hard to believe that people who are in the "healthcare business" as the director's son told me when my mum was dying and was lying on a broken air mattress can be so unfeeling towards people who haven't done anyone any harm.

On top of this my second sadness tonight is that the vicar who is leading my mum's second funeral on Sunday is the person who visited my mum for a year while my mum was nursing a huge tumour which she told this vicar about, and which this vicar did nothing about. I am going to find it very hard on Sunday to greet this vicar and thank her for leading this service when she knew the state of health of my mum but did not alert her GP or her family. I know vicars act in confidence and all that and I guess maybe she felt she had no option but to keep Mum's confidence but I don't see why she couldn't have told Mum's GP even if she didn't tell us.

So anyway those are my moans. I know I have to "let go and move on" as Mr Pied has said today, and that's an end to it, but I thought if I just wrote it all down, I might find it a tiny bit easier to let go of it all.

Does it get any easier? I do feel very very flat, and low, and not my normal self. Nothing feels like it might be fun, or enjoyable. My daughter is about to leave primary school, and I ought to be enjoying her last couple of weeks, and I feel so guilty that I am down in the dumps when I should be laughing for her. She keeps giving me lovely big hugs. I need to get a grip! :eek:

And the last thing is... I don't want to go to this funeral on Sunday. More readings, more hymns, more prayers, more flowers. I've had enough of them. I just want to sit in my garden and watch the birds.

Told you I was going to sound bitter and twisted, didn't I?:eek::(

(The only thing I keep thinking is, there have been more good and kind people in my life today than nasty and unkind people, and I have to hold on to that... but it doesn't feel easy to do that.)

My mums funeral today, I feel flat aswell, don,t know if I'll ever feel normal again. Lost my dad 8 years ago to asbestos, we knew he was dying so I think I greived for him when we found out.So I wasn't to bad when he died, and lost my brother last year. so feel very alone.