Im so fed up

Jojo391

Sep 20, 2020
My husband was diagnosed 4 years ago with alzhimers, he's is only 65. He has suffered severe depression most of his adult life. We have been together for 15 years and married for 5. We both worked with dementia patients for many years. I still do, so I have a good insight to the illness, but I struggle to see where my husband is in his illness. I dont see a big deterioration in his memory, maybe because he hardly speaks unless spoken to. He just sits watching meaningless tv all day. He has no interest in doing anything or going anywhere. The last 2 holidays we had have been awful. He cant seem to cope being outside his comfort zone. He has no interest in doing anything. Hes taken to sleeping on the couch day and night. His mood dosen't seem really low so I dont think he is badly depressed. I just wish I could give him some umph. Sorry for the rant.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hi @Jojo391 and welcome to DTP

Not every person with dementia gets memory loss as part of their symptoms. This seems to be particularly true in Early Onset dementia, where symptoms like apathy, inability to initiate tasks and loss of ability to perform tasks are more common.
I think many of us recognise the picture you describe, of someone being happy to just sit in front of the TV all day.

GillPJ

Jun 2, 2020
I can only relate to my mum, which is a bit different as she's getting on a bit. She just couldn't be bothered - didn't want to go out in her wheelchair, didn't want to sit on the patio, watched dvd's sometimes, didn't even want to move an arm unless it was absolutely vital, she just gave up basically. I'm not sure there's a lot you can do, but have a sing-a-long to songs he likes perhaps? I was going to get colouring books for mum but her arthritis is so bad she couldn't manage.

Jojo391

Sep 20, 2020
Thank you, I'm sorry you'd are going through similar things, but omg it's so good to know I'm not alone.

GillPJ

Jun 2, 2020
Everyone on this forum has been through, or is going through, the very same things. It really does make it a lot more bearable.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robbertm