I'm scared, I think I need help

MarkAli

Apr 19, 2022
So I'm a 20 years old guy whose grandmother has Alzhaimer and one year ago I started to have dementia-like symptoms such as mental confusion, difficoulty to concentrate and strong "brain fog", so because of these persistent symptoms I went to a neurologist but he basically told me that I'm too young to eventually develop dementia even though I explained him my overall cognitive decline in the last two years which is difficoulty to live with since I've got to a point where I struggle even with simple tasks, I got really depressed about my issue and the fact that my grandma has Alzhaimer makes me worry even more. So what are the chances I'm really developing some sort of the dementia?

Raest

Jan 15, 2022
I would get your bloods checked, I get terrible brain fog when I am anaemic and really struggle to concentrate. Urine infections can also cause brain fog or vitamin b12 deficiency so might be best to rule these things out first.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Welcome to the forum @MarkAli.

I’m sorry to read about your concerns. I agree with @Raest - there are many other health issues which might cause memory loss or ‘brain fog’. Please go back to your doctor and ask them to investigate further.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Also it might be worth asking your doctor to look at your ears people don't always know when they are blocked but they can make you feel cut off. I know this because I have narrow ear canals which I inherited from my dad.

MaNaAk

PS: Try not to worry it could be something quite simple.

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
Dementia under 40 is rare. Dementia under 30 is rarer than hen's teeth. Dementia at 20 is unheard of.

There are many things that could be causing the symptoms you are experiencing but dementia isn't one of them, not at your age.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
Depression could be responsible for many of your symptoms such as the mental confusion and inability to concentrate. Your post was short but at your age and with your concerns, but to me, it sounds as if that might be a possibility.

Have a heart to heart chat with your GP and have a think about how your mood is. It’s important that you get a little help. There are other causes that might bring about your current state and I would be very surprised if it were dementia.