I'm probably not thinking straight

lastotter

Aug 22, 2021
but maybe I have a plan to help with my wife who is now into the moderate stage of Alzheimer's. So, we're returning to the UK in July from France mainly because of family ties. My wife, unsurprisingly, is so not keen to go into a 'home'. I'm thinking could we employ a qualified carer with dementia experience to work full-time chez nous? I understand that's about £30k a year. Am thinking that's a 5 day week with extra for weekend and night duty. I am totally happy to adhere to all current UK employment law. In France it's not unusual to employ non-state employed carers on this basis. Naturally my plan would be to do this up to Oct 2023 to start Johnson's £86k max payment 'we've sorted the caring situation once and for all' scenario.
The other zany idea I've had is to perhaps work with other families with relatives with dementia in maybe doing some sort of joint enterprise to create a mini-caring environment. Am I barking or what?

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Naturally my plan would be to do this up to Oct 2023 to start Johnson's £86k max payment
Don't bank on current proposals. they could be changed or delayed.
A bill will have to be introduced, discussed, and enacted before there is anything definite.

Also remember that the £86k is for assessed cost of assessed care needs not what you have decided to put in place and pay for.

GillP

Aug 11, 2021
Love the idea of shared caring community - it sounds a bit like The Great Marigold Hotel. However, I think the logistics and practicalities of organising this could be extremely problematic. I admire the thought and, if you go ahead, wish you well.

Sue741215

Oct 18, 2019
I don't think there is any problem in employing a carer privately though there may be difficulties in finding one. You are likely to have to use agency carers for the extras - evenings, weekends, holidays and I understand that in this area the going rate is £20 per hour (probably more for evenings/weekends). If carer is employed rather than self employed you would have to report their salary on a realtime system and deduct tax and NI though there is a free and fairly straightforward software available to do this on govt website. If employing on a self employed basis you are likely to be paying agency level rates and could be challenged if the person is only or mainly working for you.

If you do go ahead you might also consider a jobshare arrangement with 2 part-time workers as this can provide more flexibility in terms of holidays and extra cover. I did this successfully for my mother although it was just for part time help rather than full time personal care.

I, too like your idea of a shared caring community but wouldn't be easy to set up - there may be one or two that already exist but they tend to be one-offs in a limited no. of locations.

I will be interested to know how you get on so please keep posting.

lastotter

Aug 22, 2021
I don't think there is any problem in employing a carer privately though there may be difficulties in finding one. You are likely to have to use agency carers for the extras - evenings, weekends, holidays and I understand that in this area the going rate is £20 per hour (probably more for evenings/weekends). If carer is employed rather than self employed you would have to report their salary on a realtime system and deduct tax and NI though there is a free and fairly straightforward software available to do this on govt website. If employing on a self employed basis you are likely to be paying agency level rates and could be challenged if the person is only or mainly working for you.

If you do go ahead you might also consider a jobshare arrangement with 2 part-time workers as this can provide more flexibility in terms of holidays and extra cover. I did this successfully for my mother although it was just for part time help rather than full time personal care.

I, too like your idea of a shared caring community but wouldn't be easy to set up - there may be one or two that already exist but they tend to be one-offs in a limited no. of locations.

I will be interested to know how you get on so please keep posting.
Thanks for that. More research needed, of course.

Cazcaz

Apr 3, 2021
but maybe I have a plan to help with my wife who is now into the moderate stage of Alzheimer's. So, we're returning to the UK in July from France mainly because of family ties. My wife, unsurprisingly, is so not keen to go into a 'home'. I'm thinking could we employ a qualified carer with dementia experience to work full-time chez nous? I understand that's about £30k a year. Am thinking that's a 5 day week with extra for weekend and night duty. I am totally happy to adhere to all current UK employment law. In France it's not unusual to employ non-state employed carers on this basis. Naturally my plan would be to do this up to Oct 2023 to start Johnson's £86k max payment 'we've sorted the caring situation once and for all' scenario.
The other zany idea I've had is to perhaps work with other families with relatives with dementia in maybe doing some sort of joint enterprise to create a mini-caring environment. Am I barking or what?
Firstly the £86k cap is only a proposal. Not reality. It may never actually happen.

second that only covers nursing care, you’ll still have to pay for living expenses in a care home. Food, lighting, staff etc. this has no limit.

Third do you have LPAs for your wife? Rules on controlling finances or where she lives may be need consideration if not As you May not have a say in this.

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
that only covers nursing care, you’ll still have to pay for living expenses in a care home. Food, lighting, staff etc. this has no limit.

My understanding is that it covers ALL care needs e.g. personal care in
a residential home not just nursing care. But as you say it doesn't cover 'hotel' costs.

As has been stated this is still a proposal not yet legislated so don't hold your breath.

Last edited:

Pots and Pans

Jan 13, 2020
We successfully used live-in carers - as self funders - via an agency (after an operation that led to delusion) though then went down to just one day a week. Usually worked out about £8-900 per week ( can be woken once a night only if needed) and they get a few hours off each day. Good to have the continuity. Quite a few do two weeks on, two weeks off (picking up single shifts near home on their off weeks) so you can alternate just 2 carers. Note however that if your wife's needs become greater eg challenging/ aggressive behaviour then it could be hard to find someone or difficult since they could be vulnerable in what is then their workplace.
Love the idea of mini community helping each other. If you go to local Alzheimer's activity groups or council run carer support cafes you would meet other local carers. Could always try discussing with them.
Good luck.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBTC