I'm only 42

Dawnmarie32975

Feb 16, 2017
I use to be very articulate. Sad I can't think of the word I want right now. I use to see something once and would instantly remember what I saw. What is that called again? Anyway over the past year or so this is getting worse and affecting my conversations and business relationships. The wrong words can come out 3 x in one sentence. It is always replaced with a word similar in sound whether a real word or not. I will be 42 next month. Someone please explain what is going on.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee

Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside
Welcome to TP :)

Your GP should be your first port of call as it could be something like a vitamin deficiency.

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
Yes definitely get some blood tests done in the first instance.

About three years back similar things were happening to me. I put it down to general stress but didn't go to the GP until I felt I was barely functioning. It turned out that I had very low levels of vitamin D due to a previously undetected and untreated thyroid problem.

Now that the condition is being managed I am fine.

PJ

Jan 26, 2017
Bristol
Blood tests will hopefully show you are lacking in something & hopefully it can be sorted easily. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Selinacroft

Oct 10, 2015
Hi Dawnmarie
I found when I was at your sort of age my memory was shot ot pieces, stress of working full time and caring in my "spare time" plus after investigations I had fibroids and needed a hysterectomy. When they opened me up my ovaries had shrivelled up so I was getting no hormones, I had been told several times I was too young for menopause but everyone is different and it doesn't always happen bang on 51 as most Drs seem to believe.
I am pleased to say that post surgery and after starting HRT my memory and brain kindly returned so please speak to your GP for some blood tests as others have said. May also be vitamin B12 deficiency or anaemia, or thyroid. They all seem to start going a bit wonkywhen you are perimenopausal.

Last edited:

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Yes - echoing what the others have said, particularly Selinacroft. Approaching menopause was the first thing that occurred to me too, when I read your post. Definitely worth a trip to the GP. I know when we start having problems with our memory and/or concentration, dementia is the first thing we start to worry about! But, as others have pointed out, there are all sorts of other reasons for it - and once we start to notice it, and pay attention to it - it seems to get worse! I don't think it actually gets worse - it's just that we are giving our attention to it.