1. Welcome to Talking Point - an online community for everyone who is affected by dementia. Whether you have dementia or know someone who does, we will be there for you.

If you need help using Talking Point, read our Help pages or contact us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk

2. Hi everyone, Talking Point is back! We’ve updated the software in order to improve security, design, and the way the community works, and introduced some helpful features.

Find out more

I'm only 42

Discussion in 'Memory concerns and seeking a diagnosis' started by Dawnmarie32975, Feb 16, 2017.

1. Dawnmarie32975

Dawnmarie32975 Registered User

Feb 16, 2017
    I use to be very articulate. Sad I can't think of the word I want right now. I use to see something once and would instantly remember what I saw. What is that called again? Anyway over the past year or so this is getting worse and affecting my conversations and business relationships. The wrong words can come out 3 x in one sentence. It is always replaced with a word similar in sound whether a real word or not. I will be 42 next month. Someone please explain what is going on.

2. Izzy

Izzy Volunteer Moderator

Aug 31, 2003
    Dundee
  3. Cat27

Cat27 Volunteer Moderator

Feb 27, 2015
    Merseyside
    Welcome to TP :)

Your GP should be your first port of call as it could be something like a vitamin deficiency.

4. Izzy

Izzy Volunteer Moderator

Aug 31, 2003
    Dundee
    Oops! I meant to suggest the GP as well!

5. LynneMcV

LynneMcV Volunteer Moderator

May 9, 2012
    south-east London
    Yes definitely get some blood tests done in the first instance.

About three years back similar things were happening to me. I put it down to general stress but didn't go to the GP until I felt I was barely functioning. It turned out that I had very low levels of vitamin D due to a previously undetected and untreated thyroid problem.

Now that the condition is being managed I am fine.

6. PJ

PJ Registered User

Jan 26, 2017
    Blood tests will hopefully show you are lacking in something & hopefully it can be sorted easily. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

7. Grannie G

Grannie G Volunteer Moderator

Apr 3, 2006
    Kent
    Please let us know what your doctor says.

8. Selinacroft

Selinacroft Registered User

Oct 10, 2015
    #8 Selinacroft, Feb 18, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
    Hi Dawnmarie
    I found when I was at your sort of age my memory was shot ot pieces, stress of working full time and caring in my "spare time" plus after investigations I had fibroids and needed a hysterectomy. When they opened me up my ovaries had shrivelled up so I was getting no hormones, I had been told several times I was too young for menopause but everyone is different and it doesn't always happen bang on 51 as most Drs seem to believe.
    I am pleased to say that post surgery and after starting HRT my memory and brain kindly returned so please speak to your GP for some blood tests as others have said. May also be vitamin B12 deficiency or anaemia, or thyroid. They all seem to start going a bit wonkywhen you are perimenopausal.

9. LadyA

LadyA Volunteer Host

Oct 19, 2009
    Ireland
    Yes - echoing what the others have said, particularly Selinacroft. Approaching menopause was the first thing that occurred to me too, when I read your post. Definitely worth a trip to the GP. I know when we start having problems with our memory and/or concentration, dementia is the first thing we start to worry about! But, as others have pointed out, there are all sorts of other reasons for it - and once we start to notice it, and pay attention to it - it seems to get worse! I don't think it actually gets worse - it's just that we are giving our attention to it.