I'm new to talking point but my dad has dementia

CHL579

May 18, 2019
Hey I'm new to talking point but my dad has Dementia and was just wondering if I can give any or receive any advice. My dad has had it for a couple of years but recently had a stay in hospital for a couple of weeks and he seems to have deteriorated slightly. I was just wondering if anyone else has seen a change after a hospital stay?

L..

May 18, 2019
Hi CHL579
I'm new too, My mum and dad both have dementia. I think any change can be quite disorienting for pwd and a hospital stay is a big change. Your dad might need to readjust back into his surroundings again. It's sometimes hard to know whether a deterioration is permanent or not as pwd tend to have good and bad days/ periods of time, I guess just like the rest of us.

nellbelles

Volunteer Host
Nov 6, 2008
leicester
Hello @CHL579 and welcome to the forum
I think any change of surroundings can be difficult for a PWD I hope he soon settles back in at home I hope now you have found us you will continue to post for support.

nellbelles

Volunteer Host
Nov 6, 2008
leicester
Hello @L.. and a warm welcome to you also.
That’s good advice that you posted, it must be difficult for the family having both Mum and Dad with dementia I hope you will find the forum a source of information and and support.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @CHL579 and @L.. and welcome here from me too. I hope you both find the forum to be a friendly and supportive place.

I hope you both have time to take a good look around the site as it is a goldmine for information. When I first joined I read old threads for information but then found the AS Publications list and the page where a post code search can be done to check for support services in ones own area. If you are interested in these, clicking the following links will take you there

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/publications-factsheets-full-list

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/find-support-near-you

You will see that there are Factsheets that will help with things like getting care needs assessments, deciding the level of care required and sorting out useful things like Wills, Power of Attorney etc., if any of that hasn’t been done already.

Now that you have found us I hope you will both keep posting as the membership has vast collective knowledge and experience.

CHL579

May 18, 2019
Thank you all I haven't seen him since he came home but I have spoke to him on the phone and he was his normal self but then had a call from my step mum who wasn't there when I rang and apparently he had forgot to hang up the phone and also didn't remember that I rang. Which isn't like him. Has anyone else had similar experience? Before he went in to hospital he would do little things like check how much money he had in his wallet about 5 or 6 times in like 20 mins which was normal for him but he wouldn't forget that I rang.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
@CHL579 yes, forgetting that you rang is quite a normal thing. When my mother was first in a care home, if I went out of her eyesight for a few minutes, she would quite surprised when she saw me again. Fortunately she was usually pleased.