I'm new to all this and having a stress!

xlaineyx

Oct 22, 2007
Manchester
Frustration!

Hi Sharon
My Dad is on amisulpride for the aggression. He has improved so much since being in the aricept. His conversation levels have increased. We think the chest infection he had could have caused the psycotic episode in the hospital. He has not even mentioned that since being moved to this unit. Its just so frustrating that we can't even speak to a Dr. I feel they will not get a true assessment of his behaviour in there because there is no stimulation what so ever. He is bored and is getting increasingly frustrated being in there. I'm not even sure if his own GP can go and see him in there for a chat so he can advise us. I just think its crazy that we have to wait another week to see his consultant. We keep telling the staff he is becoming fed up in there. We have told them how active he usually is but they are not interested.Its frustrating for all of us. We have also mentioned that we think he needs a hearing test as it would help if he could hear what we are saying all of the time. They have not said if they will be following this up.

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
I just think its crazy that we have to wait another week to see his consultant.

Yes it does sound crazy , only way to cope is thinking that it won't last that his in that place soon as you see the consultant next week , your no where you stand in how the assessment going to get the right care for your father without putting your mother at risk if when your father go home .

It happen to me with the consultant only seeing him one a week , but then found out that they is also a doctor at the hospital that I could talk to , when my brother was in one of those dementia unit

okmurrays

Oct 17, 2007
kelowna, bc, canada
Hi
Keep perservering, frustrating as it is.
Interesting what you said about a chest infection. My dad had a nasty one earlier this year and he took a real downturn with his Alz at the same time. Almost like he bumped down a level and didn't manage to pull himself back up. Became more 'lost' as a result.
Keep us posted on progress.
Thinking about you.
Sharon

xlaineyx

Oct 22, 2007
Manchester
This Place is beyond a joke!

The assesment unit today got my sister to call me at work to ask what tablets my Dad is supposed to be on for diabetes. (I work in a pharmacy) Is this place a joke, do they not read medical records! I informed them which tablets he was on and it turned out they were giving him 1 tablet once a day instead of 2 twice a day! They were curious to why his blood sugars were always high! They even asked what tablets he was on for the dementia... Hello... your consultant prescribed them you should have it on file!!!! Bit of a joke really.

xlaineyx

Oct 22, 2007
Manchester
Dad is Finally Home!

My Dad is finally home. He came home yesterday and seems to be doing just fine. My Mum is under strict instruction to inform us of any behaviour problems. We saw the consultant on Wednesday as planned and he was really not much help. We have met the lady from the social services and she was wonderful. She is a former community mental health worker and seems quite clued up. My dad had a home visit today from one of the assessors from the unit he was in and he admitted they thought on his second day in there he was in the wrong place. But without seeing the consultant nothing could be done to discharge him. Anyway, he's home now. All we can do now is see how things go. There has been a huge improvement since he was put on Aricept and amisulpride. Anyway, he seems a lot happier and more like his old self. Will let you know how he gets on.

elaineo2

Jul 6, 2007
leigh lancashire
thats beltin news elaine.lets hope that the medication will do the trick and you can settle for a while.love to you all especially mum and dad.let us know how you are getting on.love elainex

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
I was so relieved to read that your dad was now out of the EMI unit. Well done in getting him back home. I do hope that the medicine helps your mum. She has the enormous comfort of knowing you are there for her. Well Done!! xx TinaT

xlaineyx

Oct 22, 2007
Manchester
Funny Talk...

Elaine you always manage to say something to make me laugh... Beltin... Its such a Leigh word my b/f says it all the time LOL

Love Elaine x

elaineo2

Jul 6, 2007
leigh lancashire
it proper

elaine its proper speak.wots you father in law look like.does he walt to his job?i see a fella when am not at work int mornin and i imagine him as you father in law.love elainex

xlaineyx

Oct 22, 2007
Manchester
wots you father in law look like.does he walt to his job?i see a fella when am not at work int mornin and i imagine him as you father in law.love elainex

Hi Elaine,
My father in law is about 6'5 a big bloke who reaminds me of a grisly bear (due to his size!) and he wears specs. He does walk to work!

cynron

Sep 26, 2005
east sussex
Its strange to hear of someone with Vas Dem being put on Aricept i was told that this would not be given to my husband who had VAS -D.aLL He was given was Quitepine for aggresion.

xlaineyx

Oct 22, 2007
Manchester
Its strange to hear of someone with Vas Dem being put on Aricept i was told that this would not be given to my husband who had VAS -D.aLL He was given was Quitepine for aggresion.

We were originally told that Aricept would be of no help to my dad and that Vas Dem was not the type to be treated with such drugs. Then he was put on it by the hospital. I have to say the problem with his speech is no where near as bad as it was and he can hold more of a conversation now. Before he was just saying yes to most questions we asked. He still gets words mixed up but not as often. So I'm not sure why they decided to put him on it but they did.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
It's possible they think it's mixed dementia. Mind you, having said that, it may be that whoever did the prescribing has read some of the research from other countries (specifically the USA) where it is much more common for people to be placed on these drugs in a "let's try it and see if it works" sort of approach. And the research shows, often it does. I'm afraid though, that's not generally the approach in the UK.