1. Our next Q&A session is on the topic of Christmas and dementia.This time we want our Q&A to involve our resident experts, you! Share tips and advice on navigating Christmas here in this thread.

Pop by and post your questions or if you prefer you can email your question to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll be happy to ask them on your behalf.

I'm having a Carers Assessment

Discussion in 'I care for a person with dementia' started by Summerheather, May 18, 2015.

1. Summerheather

Summerheather Registered User

Feb 22, 2015
    Don't know what to expect - any advice would be gratefully received- dos and don'ts?

2. jaymor

jaymor Volunteer Moderator

Jul 14, 2006
    Female
    England
    Just tell it as it is. How care is affecting your life both in the caring role and your social life. It is important that they see the picture as a whole. This is not about the one you care for, it is about you.

Once they get the picture then they will be able to suggest and offer solutions to help you. My husband was given a place twice a week at a day centre, this was to allow me a break from caring and I used that time to sleep as I was the sole carer for my husband during the 7 years I cared for him at home. We both benefited from the care but it was given to help me.

just let them know where you are struggling and what you think will help you. This is a chance to put you first for once and your needs to be covered.

3. Spamar

Spamar Registered User

Oct 5, 2013
    Suffolk
    Don't forget - worst case scenario. If you feel the slightest bit guilty, you'll probably be doing it in a few months time! Been there, done that!

4. Beate

Beate Registered User

May 21, 2014
    Female
    London
    Tell them where the problems are and what you need to make caring easier - day care, sitting service, respite....

5. Maldives13

Maldives13 Registered User

Feb 4, 2014
    Also insist you need help now. I had a carers assessment done. Was told I could have 3 hours a week take a break sitting service. That was 2 months ago. My mum has just gone into a care home for respite for two weeks and looks like it may become permanent sadly.
    Good luck x

6. Liz57

Liz57 Registered User

Dec 22, 2013
    Same here. After waiting nearly 7 months after requesting an assessment I had it last month and I've heard nothing since. At the meeting I was told all that was on offer was a two hour sitting service but I work full time and in any event, nothing has come of the assessment. Mum now gets so fraught when she's on her own that I feel a care home is the only option.

7. Summerheather

Summerheather Registered User

Feb 22, 2015
    I'm so afraid that they're going to give me nothing - I feel near to breaking point, I need help but everyone knows that the public services has been starved of funds

8. Girlonthehill

Girlonthehill Registered User

Jan 1, 2015
    Dorset
    Expect... Lots of form filling, lots of insincere comments, many patronising comments and more forms to fill in! Or was that just me?
    I had my assessment with a social worker who kept telling me I was doing a great job - how the hell did she know? Never met me or my parents!
    I was presented with a long list of things I could apply for - therapy - talking and massage, a week in a caravan, cinema vouchers, stand in care and carers in crisis cover in case I had an accident - great if I only had the time to go for a massage and take an hour to chat to a counsellor! Good luck and tell it like it is. You might not get anything but at least you will have told someone how it is for you.

9. Mal2

Mal2 Registered User

Oct 14, 2014
    Enfield
    Have you contacted Age UK? They do a free sitter service of 1 x 4 hours a week or you can split it for 2 x 2 hours a week, to give you to have a short break. It may help whilst you are waiting for them to come up with something.

I have come to the conclusion that unless you pay you get nothing. I asked for someone to give me a hand when my daughter went on holiday. The usual thing popped up, financial assessment.