I'm gutted

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
Bad news comes in 3 so I hope that is your 3 over and done with. Hope you are able to get the car sorted and find another suitable respite place although I guess you had already done a lot of searching to find that one

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
So sorry that it wasn't a false alarm @canary I was hoping it was something and nothing. I hope they get him sorted out and home quickly. You obviously know how dad's stay in hospital went but he has been home 7 months now with no repeat events.

Hope all goes well and enjoy the wine, although you are probably in bed by now.

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
Hello peeps, Im back, having spent quite a few hours in A&E
@Duggies-girl - you are so right, its a UTI and, like your dad, a nasty one, so he has been admitted and was on IV antibiotics when I left. I had to get a taxi back.

Ive ordered a Pizza, opened a bottle of wine and I shall watch Strictly on catch up.
Phew

Breathe, he’s safe & well looked after! hope you sleep in today
Much love
Xx

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
I hope you both had a peaceful evening. At least your OH is safe now. Maybe you can have today off caring - just phone to check how he is.

I hope you get your car sorted quickly and can find somewhere for respite soon.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I slept like a log last night and Im now enjoying a leisurely pot of tea.
I have got to go in this morning as I wasnt expecting him to be admitted, so hadnt packed a bag for him. I too thought it would turn out to be something and nothing. A friend has arranged to pick me up at 11:00am so that she can give me a lift to the hospital

pevensey

Feb 14, 2012
South East Coast.
Actually, its not being a very good day at all. OHs legs seem to have just given way under him. He cannot stand upright without holding onto things to take his weight and me steadying his torso. The stick he usually uses is not enough now. He has fallen a lot. I am debating whether I can leave it till Monday, or whether to dial 111.............
I'm so very sorry @canary to hear your devastating news, I can feel your pain at the sudden loss of your respite that you so deservedly needed and looking forward to, those couple weeks to recharge your battery's and REST and RELAX, and OH having a change of surroundings. Regarding your OH sudden lack of weight bearing and falls, that is what's put my hubby in a short carehome, . Lifeline called paramedics few weeks ago as he kept falling one saturday morning I couldn't get him up, they took him to hospital for 10 days then they transferred him to rehab/carehome. It's a short stay one max 8 weeks I think, plan is to get him more mobile. It's a really lovely place and hubby actually likes it there, is much happier than when hes at home.
I dont know where you are on south coast, I'm also down that way about 5 mins walk from the sea. But your prob not near here though. @canary I really hope you fin d somewhere very soon, and this stressful time gets better for you, I'm so dissapointed for you. You always give such helpful advice and your someone I always listen to and take note of. Sending you big hugs and thoughts.

pevensey

Feb 14, 2012
South East Coast.
I'm so very sorry @canary to hear your devastating news, I can feel your pain at the sudden loss of your respite that you so deservedly needed and looking forward to, those couple weeks to recharge your battery's and REST and RELAX, and OH having a change of surroundings. Regarding your OH sudden lack of weight bearing and falls, that is what's put my hubby in a short carehome, . Lifeline called paramedics few weeks ago as he kept falling one saturday morning I couldn't get him up, they took him to hospital for 10 days then they transferred him to rehab/carehome. It's a short stay one max 8 weeks I think, plan is to get him more mobile. It's a really lovely place and hubby actually likes it there, is much happier than when hes at home.
I dont know where you are on south coast, I'm also down that way about 5 mins walk from the sea. But your prob not near here though. @canary I really hope you fin d somewhere very soon, and this stressful time gets better for you, I'm so dissapointed for you. You always give such helpful advice and your someone I always listen to and take note of. Sending you big hugs and thoughts.
So pleased you are now resting @canary, but sorry to hear about OH, I hope he is soon on the mend, yes my hubby was put on iv antibiotics when he was admitted after his falls, but when he had finished them they said his chest infection was better and he could go home, even though he was still unable to walk, they hadn't got him up walking at all, I said I wasnt happy with him coming home as he would still be falling so they transferred him to the rehab / carehome for physio. As I said above it's a lovely place and hes happy there, will be about 4 weeks I think, SO canary please do t aggree for him to come home when his UTI is better tell them you need him to be assessed about his mobility. or you will be back to square one, Take care and look after YOURSELF

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Talk about rollercoasters @canary. I hope you will be able to get some rest while your husband is in hospital. Glad you had a good night.

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
So glad you’ve got got friends who offer practical help, annoying about the car, just when it would be really useful. Hope they get the UTI sorted pronto. As my beloved mother in law always says ‘look after you’ as well.

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
I slept like a log last night and Im now enjoying a leisurely pot of tea.
I have got to go in this morning as I wasnt expecting him to be admitted, so hadnt packed a bag for him. I too thought it would turn out to be something and nothing. A friend has arranged to pick me up at 11:00am so that she can give me a lift to the hospital

How are things today?
Let us know how it’s all going
Xx

myss

Jan 14, 2018
Hi @canary Sorry to hear that the respite stay was cancelled and that your OH has an UTI. That said I'm pleased you were able to have a nice night-in to yourself and a cosy lie-in this morning. Things like that are a godsend to carers! I hope things are better today for your OH and you're able to make alternative arrangement for respite.

it’s always a difficult call to make, but I know it’s the right thing to do. Have a cup of tea & let us know how you get on.
Don’t be sidelined by the call handler, I got asked once was it an emergency- well yes I will reply next time otherwise I wouldn’t have called!

because I said no not life or death we waited for 11 hours from initial phonecall until a Dr arrived! wont make that mistake again!
I was in bits.....
especially after the Dr said mum should of been a higher priority!! &needed antibiotics

take care
Xx
I thought 111 was for non-emergency calls and 999 for emergency calls. That may be the reason why the call-handler on the 111 call asked if it was an emergency.

AliceA

May 27, 2016
Take care of your self while he is in hospital. Hope things settle soon. Just one thing after another for you, xxx

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Thank you for hugs and good wished.

I got to see OH yesterday. The ward was busy, even though it was Sunday, and I didnt manage to see the doctor. My friend (or rather, the husband of a friend) gave me a lift and when I said how grateful I was told me "Its my pleasure, its what we are here for", but body language said otherwise and I was constantly aware that he was mentally clockwatching, so I felt that I couldnt hang around for long. Sister said that the doctor would phone me to get information about his neurological condition, but no-one did.

The physios arrived while I was there, so I was able to explain about his strange gait and ataxia, but was also able to explain that with his rollator he was able to walk quite a distance. They got him up using a zimmer and with a physio on either side and someone coming up the rear with a wheelchair they got him to walk 2 or 3 steps before he collapsed back into the chair.:( They think he is going to need a lot of physio.

Today Im going to try and sort out my car. I dont think I will be able to get a lift in, so Ill phone and see how he is.

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
Thank you for hugs and good wished.

I got to see OH yesterday. The ward was busy, even though it was Sunday, and I didnt manage to see the doctor. My friend (or rather, the husband of a friend) gave me a lift and when I said how grateful I was told me "Its my pleasure, its what we are here for", but body language said otherwise and I was constantly aware that he was mentally clockwatching, so I felt that I couldnt hang around for long. Sister said that the doctor would phone me to get information about his neurological condition, but no-one did.

The physios arrived while I was there, so I was able to explain about his strange gait and ataxia, but was also able to explain that with his rollator he was able to walk quite a distance. They got him up using a zimmer and with a physio on either side and someone coming up the rear with a wheelchair they got him to walk 2 or 3 steps before he collapsed back into the chair.:( They think he is going to need a lot of physio.

Today Im going to try and sort out my car. I dont think I will be able to get a lift in, so Ill phone and see how he is.

If I’m close you can ask me for a lift - my little cats back on her wheels & road worthy!
I promise I won’t clock watch....
I hate it when words say one thing but body language says another!
Don’t want to give moderators palpitations - it’s a horrible negative feeling, when you are at your low points .... really doesn’t cut the mustard!!!!

sending big ((((((((((hugs)))))))))))
Please message me if I can help, the distraction from my own situation &ability to help someone in a positive way would be gratefully appreciated!
Xx