I'm gutted

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I'm so sorry to hear about the home @canary. I do hope you can find somewhere else as suitable. Good luck with the car.

charlie10

Dec 20, 2018
so sorry Canary, you must be devastated.....and not helped by the car either!. I hope by the time you read this you will have had a good (well, halfway decent) sleep and will be able to see a way ahead.......take care, and a big hug from NZ x

BSN

Oct 1, 2017
I’m so sorry to hear your news. I was disappointed when a care home I found (that ticked all our boxes) wouldn’t take my partner because of her behaviour - she has FTD bv. I felt no other place would be so perfect but in the end I found somewhere. A longer drive but a good place and able to cope with her advancing dementia. I wish you all the best in your continued search Canary.

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
So sorry to hear about the care home Canary, it's shattering when you have found somewhere that is just right, I know how I'd feel if my mother's care home had to close. I hope you can find somewhere else you are happy with.

Hope you can find someonelse to fix the car, and you are having a better day today.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Actually, its not being a very good day at all. OHs legs seem to have just given way under him. He cannot stand upright without holding onto things to take his weight and me steadying his torso. The stick he usually uses is not enough now. He has fallen a lot. I am debating whether I can leave it till Monday, or whether to dial 111.............

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
@canary sometimes I think that life just gets too much & then something else happens & I think why...? Why did I tempt fate?
I hope that there are folks close by to help you out?
the disappointment of respite care being cancelled is a bitter blow! especially when sleep deprivation is concerned.
ihope something helps soon resolve all the issues.

I have found pleading with my car to be as effective as pleading with my mum & dad!
So don’t advise that route.... it leads to mild Tourette’s at times!!!!

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
Actually, its not being a very good day at all. OHs legs seem to have just given way under him. He cannot stand upright without holding onto things to take his weight and me steadying his torso. The stick he usually uses is not enough now. He has fallen a lot. I am debating whether I can leave it till Monday, or whether to dial 111.............

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
Ring 111

if no improvement 999

it’s amazing how the reality of dementia means we don’t like to make a fuss!

in any other situation we’d call for help!

please make the call!
X

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017

@canary That's what happened to dad, I rung 111 and paramedics were sent. Dad was admitted to hospital with pneumonia. I think you should ring them as they will assess him first and if they don't find anything it will put your mind at rest.

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
Thank you. Ive rung 111. Someone is going to call me back
xx

it’s always a difficult call to make, but I know it’s the right thing to do. Have a cup of tea & let us know how you get on.
Don’t be sidelined by the call handler, I got asked once was it an emergency- well yes I will reply next time otherwise I wouldn’t have called!

because I said no not life or death we waited for 11 hours from initial phonecall until a Dr arrived! wont make that mistake again!
I was in bits.....
especially after the Dr said mum should of been a higher priority!! &needed antibiotics

take care
Xx

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
Yes we waited around 4 hours, it was a Sunday morning and I wasn't overly concerned because dad was quite jovial and seemed his normal self other than not being able to stand up.

It actually was very serious and thank heaven that I did phone for help.

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
Yes we waited around 4 hours, it was a Sunday morning and I wasn't overly concerned because dad was quite jovial and seemed his normal self other than not being able to stand up.

It actually was very serious and thank heaven that I did phone for help.

not liking to make a fuss... apologies about calling people.... yes that’s me !
Then sometimes something snaps & im a terrier.... but usually when really need to be worried & demanding part of me is aware of possible consequences... I guess I’m saying it’s easier to battle for care than hand care over to professionals at times!
So used to being a carer - a sorter of problems.....

Feistywoman

Aug 11, 2018
Oh @canary you are in the mire right now. Hope that you got assistance from 111 or other medical professionals and the your OH is getting help. I’m so sorry to hear of the respite cancellation, it’s human nature to pin your hopes on that date in the future for a break, you are rightly gutted. I’m thinking of you and sending ((((hugs))))

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hello peeps, Im back, having spent quite a few hours in A&E
@Duggies-girl - you are so right, its a UTI and, like your dad, a nasty one, so he has been admitted and was on IV antibiotics when I left. I had to get a taxi back.

Ive ordered a Pizza, opened a bottle of wine and I shall watch Strictly on catch up.
Phew

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
That’s not the sort of respite you wanted! I hope the poor chap gets better soon, in the mean time enjoy the wine, pizza and strictly.