I'm back and various stuff

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I think you've all raised very valid points. Having lived abroad for (almost) 24 years I have experienced various states of mind during those years: not at home in one country, not at home in the other. Before Mummy became ill I was returning to the UK about once every two years and I suppose I had really come to terms with the fact that "home" was the US rather than the UK. However, since she got ill, and zipping backwards and forwards, I have found the whole experience rather unsettling (particularly when people ask me "are you Canadian" or "are you Australian" :D ) while in the US people comment on my accent. Can't win either way, I suppose. I guess I'm now a tourist in the country of my birth which is odd. At least when Mummy was alive I had a real tie, and now that's gone. I suppose I have been sitting on the fence about the whole nationality thing (not really thinking about coming back to the UK permanently, but keeping my options open) and now I've been dropped into an existential funk (who am I and what am I?). It's disquieting to say the least. I'll just have to work myself back to some level of equilibrium I suppose.

I spent yesterday unpacking my suitcases and am pleased and surprised to report that the only damage was a couple of picture whose glass got broken (lets hear for bubble wrap). Unfortunately, I don't have many places to put all the stuff I brought back so I'm going to have to a) buy more shelving and b) get rid of some of the stuff I already have. Oh, and buy more picture hooks.

Love

Jennifer

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
. I guess I'm now a tourist in the country of my birth which is odd.

Now that how I feel when I go back to Gibraltar , god it hurt when my mother sister died in 06 as I was born they lived with her they , till I came back to UK when I was 20 . as gibraltar can feel so empty with out her in gibraltar

the link gone and things are just not the same, I do am going to try when I go back to see gibraltar with out her they as a new beginning for me , tried it one time last july did not work , let see what happen this year

Leaving it all behind making the most of life , is hard

(who am I and what am I?)

when I have ask myself that many a time I just say ''Me myself and I '' or in no man land , friends have said to me , home is where the heart is and my heart is with my children so they live in England , so England must be my home .

Sorry did not mean to go on :rolleyes: am till trying to work it out , just wanted to say no how you feel about the nationality thing, duel nationality sounds ok to me , even thought they won't write that in my passport.

PS with looking after mum , I just seem to be traveling a life journey into self discovery

Last edited: