I'm back ... after a rather depressing visit

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Hi all
I just got back from the Uk, and it was rather a depressing visit. To begin with, mummy seems to have a had another minor stroke, with the result that for the first 4 days of my visit, she slept about 22 out of every 24 hours. Also she's on high doses of diuretics, which mean that we could only go 45 minutes without a visit to the loo! So a bit of an abortiv evisit really. I'll post more tomorrow, because I'm more than a little jet lagged at the moment. I hope every one is as well as can be expected

Jennifer

Amy

Jan 4, 2006
Hiya Jennifer,
PLeased you are back. Sorry that you did not find mum too well-how was she when you left?
Love Helen

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Hi Helen

Fortunately, by the time I left, Mummy was much more on the ball. It was just bad timing on my part, I guess. Her care manager tells me that she does occasionally have these spells (well, I knew that, but seeing them and hearing about them is a little different). I did get a few logistical things sorted out, which was a good thing, but my plans for taking her to the seaside etc were scuppered. Actually, she is generally much more lucid, except she continually mistakes me for her sister, which for some reason absolutely infuriates me, although I'm not sure why. In part, I suppose, because she never liked her sister! I suppose I've taken over the the role of "bossy" one. It's not total confusion - if I say "just think about it it, who do you think I am," she'll say "Oh yes, you're Jenny my daughter". We discussed it in one of her more lucid periods (at 5 in the morning, so she was probably more on the ball than I was) and she said it was probably due to propinquity (her word, so she hasn't lost her language skills). When I stay with her, I stay in her apartment with her so we're at close quarters, and when she was young she and her sister were expected to spend a lot of time together, so she's probably right.

I came home to several minor disasters - the car's cyclinder head had fractured, entailing major repairs, my DD's laptop has died, so we'll have to buy her another computer (she's at college, and it's a basic requisite) and my son and his father aren't talking to each other (fairly standard, that). In the latter case, they're both at fault, but is it too much to expect that my not so dear husband should be prepared to be rather more flexible than my 17 year old son? Apparently so. On a brighter note, the dog was glad to see me though.:D

Jennifer