I'm a TP Newbie and just saying Hi

LionessPlanet

May 30, 2013
Northern UK
Hi folks
Just wanted to say hi as today is my first time of being on this forum although after several years of "dementia" life experience I won't claim to be a newbie to dementia. Just a quick one liner as to where I'm "at" - my mother (is now in a CH) is in the latter stages of vascular dementia and is just at the point of having to be referred because she is struggling to swallow her food now.
I've been blogging for a while now (on facebook and on a personal blog) about my experiences but I didn't know this forum existed so will be visiting from now on.
I've been reading through a few of the posts on here and can empathise with so many of them and feel myself nodding in agreement when I spot something I've seen/experienced myself etc.
The truth is that up until now I've pretty much managed without any support from any professional organisations and sometimes I do wonder who on earth I can talk to especially when I feel I'm about to crack up, or I'm just in despair.
Now that I have found this forum (and have installed the app on my phone), I now can see there is somewhere to sound off and get support from others. :)

Dazmum

Jul 10, 2011
Horsham, West Sussex
Welcome, LionessPlanet (amazing name!) This is a really good place to crack up, rant and to get support and kindness, as I have found. There is also the Tea Room to have a laugh in when you need one of those too. x

60's child

Apr 23, 2013
suffolk
Hi Lionessplanet
Welcome to the forum. I only joined myself recently but have found it so helpful. Everyone is kind and supportive. My Mum has alzheimers and is still at home at present, although I am finding it harder to cope these days, I think it is more emotional exhaustion than physical. I would not have realised that if it had not been for this forum. I no longer feel so alone. I hope you will find it as supportive as I have. Dealing with dementia is so very hard we need all the support we can get.

Last edited by a moderator:

LionessPlanet

May 30, 2013
Northern UK
Thank You

Welcome, LionessPlanet (amazing name!) This is a really good place to crack up, rant and to get support and kindness, as I have found. There is also the Tea Room to have a laugh in when you need one of those too. x

Its my twitter name I tend to use it for all sorts of stuff :)
I shall look the tea room up cheers.

Yes 60's child, I agree its often emotional exhaustion and yet I can't believe how draining it is :(

Last edited:

Big Effort

Account Closed
Jul 8, 2012
Hey LionessPlanet,

Sounds like you fit right in here. Welcome from me. It is nice to have not one person to ask for advice, but TP offers insights from the whole planet. I can genuinely say that people with dementia and their carers are a lovely strain of people.

In fact, I would stick my neck out and say carers and carees are probably more sane and sensible here (despite dementia) than most others who know nothing about this ghastly disease. I have met with great kindness here.

Welcome to the club. Hope you post really often. Hugs, BE

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
Hi, and welcome to TP. :) I'm a new girl myself, and it's great to come on here and realise you're not the only one with particular problems, and get helpful support.