1. Our next Q&A session is on the topic of Christmas and dementia.This time we want our Q&A to involve our resident experts, you! Share tips and advice on navigating Christmas here in this thread.

Pop by and post your questions or if you prefer you can email your question to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll be happy to ask them on your behalf.

I'm a new member.....[24june2015]

Discussion in 'Welcome and how to use Dementia Talking Point' started by johnfjallen, Jun 24, 2015.

1. johnfjallen

johnfjallen Registered User

Jun 24, 2015
    Hello,
    My name is John. My 86 year old Mother has just been diagnosed with dementia. My brother & I are attorneys on her EPA [written in the year 2000] and her LPA [written 2013].
    Any help we can get will be useful [no matter how seemingly trivial!]
    Thanks,
    John :rolleyes:

2. Grannie G

Grannie G Volunteer Moderator

Apr 3, 2006
    Kent
    Hello John

Welcome to Talking Point.

Just let people know where the difficulties lie and I`m sure you`ll get lots of support.

3. nitram

nitram Registered User

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    North Manchester
    #3 nitram, Jun 24, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2015
    "Any help we can get will be useful [no matter how seemingly trivial!]"

If you post with specific queries you will get plenty of answers.

However

" My brother & I are attorneys on her EPA [written in the year 2000] and her LPA [written 2013]."

If the EPA is not registered with the OPG it can be used as long as your Mother retains capacity and it does not contain a clause preventing it's use with a capable donor.

If the EPA is registered it can be used if the donor looses capacity.

If the LPA is for Property and Financial Affairs the EPA should have been declared and revoked.when the LPA was registered.

If the LPA is for Health and Welfare it can be used in conjunction with the EPA

4. Izzy

Izzy Volunteer Moderator

Aug 31, 2003
    Female
    Dundee
    Hi John. Welcome to TP.

5. Roses40

Roses40 Registered User

Jan 25, 2015
    manchester
    Nitram has addressed a legal point.
    If you have questions, experienced people would be happy to share their knowledge. Love Rosex

6. Pickles53

Pickles53 Registered User

Feb 25, 2014
    Radcliffe on Trent
    My mother's banks all accepted that I could manage her affairs with her consent before the EPOA was registered. I applied for registration when it became clear that she was losing capacity. This seems to be in line with the official guidance.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...287864/EPA101_Guidance_apply_register_EPA.pdf

7. nitram

nitram Registered User

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    North Manchester
    Correct Pickles53
    I was having a senior moment and have modified post 3

8. johnfjallen

Jun 24, 2015
    Thanks, Grannie G.....

....you are so right - there's always someone worse off than you. Always look for and seek out the positives - I do! :)

9. johnfjallen

Jun 24, 2015
    Thanks Izzy.....

I'll try to keep you and RLS in my mind.

10. johnfjallen

Jun 24, 2015
    Thanks Rose.....

...I do have some "technical" or possibly "legal" questions - I'll add them to Talking Point. John.

11. johnfjallen

Jun 24, 2015
    Thanks Piickes53....

12. johnfjallen

Jun 24, 2015
    Advance Directive.

Hello,
    My Mother's strong wish is not to have her life prolonged when the ravages of dementia become overwhelming [what ever "overwhelming" is and when it's reached]. Can anyone suggest any wording to include in her Advance Directive or where I can find some help with wording?
    thanks,
    John :confused:

13. nitram

nitram Registered User

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    North Manchester

Attached Files:

14. johnfjallen

Jun 24, 2015
    Thanks!