I'm 19 and think I may be experiencing early signs of dementia.

Mitch99

May 7, 2019
I haven't gotten a diagnosis for any mental problems just yet. I've spoken to a physiatrist about depression I've been going through for roughly 5-6 years now, but the memory problems along with lots of other things are starting to frighten me. I've had panic attacks from a young age but not often anymore, until recently. I want to ignore my problems and pretend they don't exist like I've done so far, but I'm terrified. My memory is getting worse, it's getting difficult to read (especially when there's a grammar mistake, I get caught up on it for some time and I have to keep scanning back through what I've read), even now writing this I can't think of what I want to write. It's like, when I want to explain something to someone, I blank completely, but in my own time, in my own head I can string the words I need together. I keep thinking I see people or faces moving, or hearing quiet sounds that aren't there and I get pretty scared over it if I'm on my own. I have so much more I want to say but I can't get the words together on my head. Not even enough to know. Things just reoccur to me when I'm thinking. It's like pressure building in the front and side of my brain when I try to remember things but I'm being blocked. I've never written on a forum before so sorry if I was meant to sort paragraphs etc. to make it easier to read. I'm just not myself tonight. I'm stuck. A lot of things going on and I can't take anything in. Work, family problems, my own problems (physically and mentally). My whole life I wanted to keep any problems I had to myself, and my dad kind of reinforced that. Any time I had a problem I'd have to either fix it myself, or try to ignore it. I don't know what to write anymore there's so much but I just can't. I would really appreciate any advice. I hope this forum is anonymous. I need help, but I want to do whatever I can myself still

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Good morning and welcome to the forum.

I'm sorry read of your worries. The forum is anonymous as long as you don't post anything which would gives clues to your identity.

I see you have talked to a psychiatrist and wondered if this was a referral through your GP. I think it would be wise to visit your GP and talk about your concerns. Symptoms you're experiencing may not be related to dementia. I'm sure anxiety and depression themselves could result in dementia like symptoms.

You might find it useful to chat to someone on the Helpline. You'll find the details here - https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/national-dementia-helpline

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Mitch, are you from the UK or the US? The use of the word "gotten" makes me think it might be the latter. I'm only asking because it's easier to provide help and relevant links if we know the country.

You need to talk to a doctor, but quite frankly, dementia at your age would be incredibly rare.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I have suffered from stress/anxiety/depression for most of my life and I know that you can get symptoms exactly like the ones you have described. Please tell your GP or psychiatrist about these things.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello @Mitch99 and welcome
it's good you've found us here so you now have folk to talk things over with
I do think talking may help and wonder whether your general practitioner might refer you for some counselling ... yes, helping ourselves is a start but keeping things to ourselves can also lead to putting pressure on yourself and creating a vicious circle
maybe print out your post here and show it to your GP and the psychiatrist - stress and even vitamin deficiencies can be behind the kind of things you describe
keep posting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abba