Im 18 how do i cope

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Hi Lauren and, sadly, welcome to Talking Point!

But congratulations, also, because the people who are members of Talking Point - or "TP" - know how it feels to have a loved one - parent, grandparent, partner or spouse, or friend, or neighbour, etc - who has dementia.

When you don't know who else to turn to, there will always be someone here who can reply to you, if only to say "I understand", and it is amazing how just that can help us.

Your Mum is young, and that is hard for you. My wife was 50 when her symptoms started, so I know what you are going through, even if from a different angle.

For the moment, just take things day by day, and ask any questions about anything here on TP, if you feel like moaning, do that here, if you want to be angry, do that here, folks will understand.

More importantly, if there is something you don't understand about what is happening, ask here. If you can't figure out how to handle a situation, ask here.

Someone will have been where you are and can give their tips.

It is going to be very hard for you, but having friends on TP can help make it just a bit less hard. and that can be more than enough to get you through a difficult situation.

Take care.

You care.

That is special.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hi Lauren I`m sorry you have to struggle with Alzheimers Disease [AD] at such a young age, but glad you found Talking Point, because there is always someone here who understands.

Is there anyone at College you can talk to, say a Personal Tutor or Counsellor. They may not understand the full agony of AD, but they will understand the affect it has on a young adult who becomes a carer by necessity, not by choice. You need some practical help in addition to the help available from the Alzheimers Society.

Can you talk to your mother`s GP. S/he may be able to point you in the right direction.

Don`t be afraid to ask for help. This is a burden too heavy for you to carry alone.

Keep in touch and let us know how you are. Sylvia

dipsylicks

Oct 1, 2006
lancashire
Hello

I'm sorry to hear about your mum. I was 21 when my mum was diagnosed and she was in her early fifties. She had been showing signs since her late forties but as i'm the youngest of four my family didnt tell me, thinking they were protecting me, but in actual fact it ended up being a complete shock to me when she was diagnosed as i had thought that it would be something curable. Don't try and cope on your own Lauren or take all the burden, you will need family support. Throughout my mums illness i have thought if she gets any worse, i won't be able to cope but you do cope somehow. I would just say to you, enjoy your time with your mum and make as many memories as possible while she is still well. My biggest regret is that, although ive always been close to my mum, i was a terrible teen and spent most of my teens arguing with her and when i grew out of that, i was out all the time so didnt see enough of her. I would do anything to go back and change that.

Take care and keep in touch

Vicky

kay_valentine

Nov 27, 2006
Gateshead, Newcastle
Lauren

Lauren I am here for you as we are the same age and can understand it better if we speak i presume

heres my email addy if u wanna chat on msn or email

e-mail address deleted address removed by moderator; recommend using Private Message facility

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.