I'm 14 and need someone hopefully a similar age to talk to.

IzzyA

Sep 17, 2015
It's so hard when it looks like him & sounds like him isn't it?
I'm a lot older than you but I still say I want my dad back!

He's still at a stage where I get flashes of my real Dad but I'm not sure if this makes it easier or harder to live with such a monster.

IzzyA

Sep 17, 2015
Dad is just being....i don't know what word....annoying is a bit of an understatement but he's not shouting as much as sometimes. He's infuriating to such an extent Mum has gone out for a walk... Which is probably a good thing because he winds her up until they end up shouting at each other.It's horrible. And it makes me cross because she's supposed to be the not ill one, complete with self control. There's so many occasions where I'm sure mum just not rising to it would diffuse the situation much quicker.
Anyway now she's gone for her walk he feels the need to explain to me "what went wrong" and why he got angry.
Then I get just as angry with him. I hate it when he replays 'arguments' over and over even though he feels it helps him.
And now I just feel guilty. In no state to either sleep or do the homework due tomorrow (I know I shouldn't have let it get shunted to the night before).
I feel guilty for getting angry with him but still can't bring myself to either apologise or just give him a hug...
I just don't know what to do with myself and I doubt writing this will actually make me feel any better.....it feels to much like complaining.

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
Hi IzzyA

Today is the first time I have read this thread, I have skimmed it but enough to read what an amazing girl you are. Lots of 'complaining' goes on here but its not really complaining but merely the pressure cooker blowing off a bit of steam - a necessary function:) Sorry you are having a rough time, is there something you can do to relax or enjoy? watch or listen to something?
Look after you too
Love
Sue:)

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
I can only agree with Sue that you are an amazing girl Izzy. You are having to deal with stuff that anyone, never mind anyone as young as you, would find heart-breaking and almost unbearable, yet you are dealing with it in a way that is an example to many of us. Of course you get angry and frustrated but you are mature beyond your years in the way in which you cooly describe what is going on, even though I'm sure you do not feel cool, and can write about your feelings in such an open and analytical way. It's so sad that you want to hug your dad and can't bring yourself to because of the way he is behaving, even though you know it's the disease that is responsible. Maybe you'll find another time soon to give him a hug.

Please never worry about 'complaining' on TP. That's one of the things it exists for.

IzzyA

Sep 17, 2015
It's still always going to feel like complaining!
I let myself dwell on the past few days during 10 minutes of quiet in tutor and almost cried in a room full of my peers.
It makes me so angry with myself and my Dad.
I ended up sitting in a classroom not achieving anything. I couldn't concentrate and I couldn't be bothered. When I'm like that it scares me because I lose the motivation and determination which is more characteristically me. I'm scared of getting dragged into the downward spiral of lack of sleep, late homework and feeling miserable...

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Hi IzzyA
sorry to read that life's a bit turbulent right now - and I must add my bit of praise for you - you are a daughter in a million - and an admirable young woman
I'm a firm believer that a good 'moan' gets it out of your system and then you can move on
personally, I think you have put in place some safety nets for yourself, so you won't slide down that spiral - you know you can come here and write anything (that's what the rest of us do) and you know you have people at school who are on your side, who will listen and give you some space; keep them in the picture
you seem to recognise some of the behaviour patterns of your parents - is it possible for you to maybe put on some quiet music your dad enjoys whenever things get heated, and then disappear to your room (with a 'do not disturb studying in progress' notice on the door) in the hope that your dad won't then talk through his arguments with you and may find the music soothing? just a thought ( I was a bit of a hider in my room type when I was a teenager)
Have you seen that Sophie Ann, the starter of this thread, has posted recently - I hope the 2 of you get to chat
sleep tight

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
Hi IzzyA

Of course it always feels like complaining and maybe in a way you are, complaining that your poor Dad has this disease and about how it affects your life - I think that is what teenagers, and not only teenagers, do when their life is affected so closely by dementia and it is ok to do that. Although you are, as many have rightly said, very mature in how you handle things and help you are still allowed to feel as any teenager would - cheated of their Dad, and like a lot of teenagers get angry at their parents when things aren't as they want them to be. The hard things for you is you know he can't help it but probably want him to be able to.

I wonder what you would think about asking your Mum if you could have some counselling together? You have said she is a GP so would understand that this might help you both.

Just some thoughts, hope they help.
Love
Sue:)

SophieAnn

Apr 16, 2015
Burton
I know this is a long time after you posted your original post but I'm fourteen and my Dad has frontotemporal dementia too. He was diagnosed about four years ago but it's only in the last few months that I've noticed drastic changes in his behaviour.
I'd love to get in touch with you because, despite being able to talk a bit with my brothers and Mum, I never feel able to bring up with my friends.
Sometimes at school I feel so different and distant from them...
Xxx

Sorry it's been so late for me to reply to you! I would love to be able to talk to you as well! I feel the same at school because no one understands how difficult everything is! My Dads been diagnosed for just shy of a year (1 year on the 18th) but he's had it a lot longer than a year I would probably say around 3-4 years.

IzzyA

Sep 17, 2015
Sorry it's been so late for me to reply to you! I would love to be able to talk to you as well! I feel the same at school because no one understands how difficult everything is! My Dads been diagnosed for just shy of a year (1 year on the 18th) but he's had it a lot longer than a year I would probably say around 3-4 years.

My Dad has been diagnosed for 4 years now and at first I didn't see any changes but he's at point now where it feels like he's getting worse everyday.

SophieAnn

Apr 16, 2015
Burton
My Dad has been diagnosed for 4 years now and at first I didn't see any changes but he's at point now where it feels like he's getting worse everyday.

Same with my Dad I get how you feel! It's difficult to describe what's going on really ah

sford91

Nov 4, 2015
Hi Izzy A and SophieAnn

I am 24 and recently my mother has been diagnosed with Frontal lobe dementia so I totally understand how you both feel. If you ever want a chat you know where I am. We are all to young to be going through this but we can get through it together :)

IzzyA

Sep 17, 2015
Hi Izzy :) hope you're ok?

I mostly post to vent frustration.

But I've needed that less because I'm back running!

And because Dad has got noticeably worse. It means he's less angry. He's just confused. When he's screaming at me it's easiest just to get angry with him and blame him.

But now he seems so vulnerable. And it's ten times harder to see him like it but it is easier to live with.

The whole atmosphere of the house has changed without the chain reaction shouting.

But now Dad has the more stereotypical memory loss and loss of speech, as well as sleeping a lot of the time.

It's upsetting but, as selfish as is it, a better quality of life for us.

Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside
I'm delighted you're back running so you can vent.

I'm sad your dad has detiriorated but I'm relieved things at home are easier. I hope you all manage to have a good Christmas.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Hi IzzyA and SophieAnn
Just to wish you and your families a lovely Christmas - I hope it's the Christmas you wish for for yourselves
Enjoy the holiday

IzzyA

Sep 17, 2015
Hi IzzyA and SophieAnn
Just to wish you and your families a lovely Christmas - I hope it's the Christmas you wish for for yourselves
Enjoy the holiday

Thanks!
Much better than I feared...
Happy Christmas to everyone on TP!!
Xxx

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Happy Christmas Izzy, from another Izzy!

I'm glad you seem to have had a good day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BB2CAN