If partner can no longer care for them at home and they can't afford private care?

Severine

Jan 8, 2013
Hello everyone
My Dad of 85 has Alzheimers and currently lives with his partner in her home. He lives on a state pension and a very small amount of savings. Although his partner (of about 5 years) is devoted to him, a little younger than he is and healthy, I am very concerned there will come a time when she cannot or does not want to care for him any longer. Neither my brother nor I are in a position to step in as carers. I assume Dad may need to go into a care home but what happens in situations where the person concerned has no money/house to sell etc to cover care costs? Are they eligible for any state help or must relatives pay (and what if they cannot afford this either)?
Thank you.
Sev.

Noorza

Jun 8, 2012
Don't worry if he needs residential care and has no funds the state will pick up the bill.

We have an excellent financial section

http://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?60-Legal-and-financial-issues

You may wish for your Dad's partner to have a carers assessment done to see what help she can get. You can call your local council and ask to speak to Social Services Adult Safeguarding, they'll come to your dad's partner to help to advise her.

Is your Dad getting Attendance Allowance, do they know how to apply?

claireybelle123

Mar 7, 2014
Hi Severine

Sorry to hear about your Dad.

My Mum has been in hospital for a while and my Dad was hoping for her to come home. That turned out to be impossible unfortunately. My Mum had always said that if she needed to go into a home she wanted to go into a specific one that she'd heard was good. Four weeks ago we made enquiries and after thinking it would be out of the question we were suprised to find that she was able to get funding. My Dad needs to still have a home to live in and they have limited savings so would be unable to pay. The social worker filled in all of the paperwork and applied for funding through a panel. After that my Dad had to go through his finances to prove that he couldn't pay which I thought he'd find uncomfortable, but didn't. They ended up taking my Mums state pension along with pension credit that she was entitled to to pay towards but that's all. Some homes ask for a top up fee from relatives or friends, however before you start the process ask the home if they do and just find another one that doesn't.
I'm happy to say that my Mum is where she said she wanted to be which I always thought would be out of the question. I hope you find this of some use...the process is easier than you think....