1. Expert Q&A: Living well as a carer - Thurs 29 August, 3-4pm

As a carer for a person living with dementia, the needs of the person you care for will often come before your own. You may experience a range of difficult emotions and you may not have the time to do all the things you need to do. Caring can have a big impact on both your mental and physical health, as well as your overall wellbeing.

Angelo, our Knowledge Officer (Wellbeing) is our expert on this topic. He will be here to answer your questions on Thursday 29 August between 3-4pm.

You can either post questions >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll answer as many as we can on the day.

If I move mum from her home to be near me will my local authority pay care home fees ?

Discussion in 'Welcome and how to use Dementia Talking Point' started by Megan M, Jul 18, 2019.

1. Megan M

Megan M New member

Jul 18, 2019
    My mum is currently managing at home on her own but clearly has dementia. I envisage only a small deterioration would now mean that mum would not be able to cope. I am considering moving mum to live near me so I don't spend the next few years on the motorway driving back and forth to deal with care needs. Will my local authority pay for my mum's care needs when she runs out of money if she has moved down to receive care near me?

2. Jaded'n'faded

Jaded'n'faded Registered User

Jan 23, 2019
    Female
    High Peak
    It depends! I moved my mum to a CH near me but she was (still is) self-funding. It makes a lot of sense.

As far as I know, it would be up to your mum's current LA to fund her if she needed that immediately or soon, not your LA. However, I think it changes after 2 years. I was told that once mum had been resident in the CH for 2 years, if she needed LA funding after that, my LA would have to pay.

I'm sure others will be along to confirm/correct this :)

3. nitram

nitram Registered User

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    North Manchester
    Is you mum currently on the LAs books where she is now?

If not I think she can just move and the current LA will not be involved.

4. Beate

Beate Registered User

May 21, 2014
    Female
    London
    That's exactly it - if she is on record with her Social Services, they are responsible. If not, the new ones will be.