if i get covid how can i isolate?

Bianco

Apr 2, 2021
I live with my 85 Yr old mother who was formally diagnosed with Alzeihmers 10 months ago. I work full time and have a carer who comes in for 30 minutes to heat up lunch and have a chat Monday to Friday.
I've come in to contact with someone who has tested positive to the virus, I tested negative but I'm still worried how can I isolate should I get it, when I'm mums primary carer.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Hello @Bianco
A warm welcome from me too

I'm glad your test was negative, but it's a worry for you

Maybe take all the precautions you can now eg change into 'house' clothes as soon as you get home, washing hands, using sanitiser, wiping surfaces, good ventilation, keeping your distance, separate bathrooms if possible and, yes, wear a mask

Might you ask the carer who currently visits and their manager whether they could increase the number of visits if you do ever have to isolate so you can keep to your own space as much as possible ... buy in some ready meals, soups etc so you're stocked up with essentials

You can only do what's possible

MartinWL

Jun 12, 2020
London
Unfortunately none of the suggestions has any real chance of preventing passing this on if you were to be infectious. We know from published data that it spreads very easily within households and at least before omicron most infection settings were in private homes. It is an airborne virus and stopping breathing isn't a practical idea. Your only reliable option is to go somewhere else to isolate and get carers to look after your mother, which would doubtless be a difficult thing to do. Maybe some younger family would let you stay? Know anyone who owns a caravan? I do not envy your situation but realistically if you test positive and intend to avoid passing it to your mum you have to live apart for a week or so.

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
I live with my 85 Yr old mother who was formally diagnosed with Alzeihmers 10 months ago. I work full time and have a carer who comes in for 30 minutes to heat up lunch and have a chat Monday to Friday.
I've come in to contact with someone who has tested positive to the virus, I tested negative but I'm still worried how can I isolate should I get it, when I'm mums primary carer.
I do understand. Please phone adult social services and tell them this situation. Emphasise how vulnerable your mother is. Ask them how to proceed. and how is a quick reaction possible if you test positive. take a lateral flow whenever you can.
Do this and you will have done your best. Then mask and gown up and carry on.

Wildflowerlady

Sep 30, 2019
Hi @Bianco I caught Covid in January 2021 from my elderly dad that I was visiting in the CH as he was EOL. My partner age 78 did not catch but I have to presume that it was because we didn't get close. We don't share a bedroom or bathroom anyway and I isolated from him totally as soon as I felt a bit off. I had been spraying everything downstairs such as door handles bannister rails and cloakroom toilet and taps. He still hasn't had Covid unless he's lucky and had no symptoms however he very rarely leaves our home. At the time of my infection he had just had a first Pfizer dose so unlikely he had been protected by the vaccine. I can only say you need to find a way in which you can isolate 'just incase'. I was extremely ill and admitted to hospital but fortunately was only there for four days however I missed my dad's funeral as didn't get discharged in time and was actually still quite poorly then. To further add I did wear PPE mask, gloves, apron and last day I saw dad a visor too. Lateral tests were done each visit to the CH which were all negative so unfortunately I don't have much faith in them however I do still take them such as before my daughter and her husband visited over Christmas as did they. I hope you and mum remain safe you can only do your best and may be fortunate like my partner and not get infected at all.