Ideas to help with osteoarthritis in my neck

jwr

Jan 10, 2021
This week is not good, but surviving! I have osteoarthritis in my neck badly and nothing can be done. Has anyone got any ideas for relief please?

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
only thing i can think of is heat. i have it in both knees and hands and gets worse when its cold and wet so hot water bottle/pad. with fingers i find they get stiff if i dont move them and find the same with my back as i have wear and tear in my back. if im in one position for a long time it gets stiff and hurts more. dont know if anything ive said has helped

lemonbalm

May 21, 2018

Do you wear scarves @jwr ? They can really help with neck pain. A physio told me that silk was the most effective.

Any scarf or snood is comforting though.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi @jwr
I wonder whether one of those wheat bags that you heat in the microwave might help ... I have one which has lavender in so scented as well (though I have only used it as a bed warmer)

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Scarves are very good for arthritis in the neck. They hold the warmth in. The neck is usually always exposed and the neck vertebrae are the only ones unprotected from the cold.

I`ve found since I bought an electric under blanket which can be kept on all night at the lowest setting, my back and knee pain have improved and I've been having the best nights` sleep ever.

jwr

Jan 10, 2021
Scarves are very good for arthritis in the neck. They hold the warmth in. The neck is usually always exposed and the neck vertebrae are the only ones unprotected from the cold.

I`ve found since I bought an electric under blanket which can be kept on all night at the lowest setting, my back and knee pain have improved and I've been having the best nights` sleep ever.
Thanks

jwr

Jan 10, 2021

jwr

Jan 10, 2021
Thanks

I also take Donepezil and feel a lot better for them but I just wonder how long they last for as I am scared?

jwr

Jan 10, 2021
only thing i can think of is heat. i have it in both knees and hands and gets worse when its cold and wet so hot water bottle/pad. with fingers i find they get stiff if i dont move them and find the same with my back as i have wear and tear in my back. if im in one position for a long time it gets stiff and hurts more. dont know if anything ive said has helped
Thanks

jwr

Jan 10, 2021

Thanks

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
I’m with Granny G. Scarves and electric blanket. If I lie down and neck hurts, I thump the pillow a few times to get it in the same shape as my neck, which can vary.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi @jwr

I wouldn't worry about posting individual thanks .... members will understand that you appreciate their responses

you asked about Donepezil

my dad took it and it certainly seemed to help him for years ... he did later also take some other meds to help with some anxious moments ... and I know some people also have memantine or some other similar meds added in

if you are unsure about any of your meds, do have a chat with your GP as they will hopefully be able to explain and reassure you

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
I have osteoarthritis in a few places but was a particular painful problem in my shoulder radiating down the arm. across my collar bone and neck which caused stiffening and restricted movement. I had physio which really helped and have done daily exercises ever since and the improvement has been very good. Strengthening the muscles around the arthritic joint helps to support the joint. Supporting your neck with a V shape cushion at night in bed can also help.There are some good tips on Versus Arthritis site which I found helpful. As well as applying heat I also use a cooling gel which works for me as I can't take anything that contains anti inflammatories. Perhaps another chat with your GP to see what can be suggested.Hope you get some relief