Ideas to help someone with dementia to enjoy scents and aromas

Status
Not open for further replies.

HarrietD

Staff Member
Staff member
Apr 29, 2014
London
Do you have any tips about helping a person with dementia to enjoy scents and aromas that we could share in the next issue of our magazine?

The latest Dementia together magazine shared activity ideas involving scents and aromas and they'd love to share your ideas in the next issue.

Share your comments (and any pictures!) below or email magazine@alzheimers.org.uk by 5 September.

Thanks everyone :)

DTMAugSept22_activity_h.jpg

HarrietD

Staff Member
Staff member
Apr 29, 2014
London
If anyone has tips they'd like to share to help someone continue to enjoy scents and aromas (like the suggestions in the article or any others you can think of), please let us know :)

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
My husband's sense of smell became compromised as dementia progressed but there were always some smells which brought him a sense of well-being.

His father was a boat builder and could turn his hand to any kind of carpentry, so the smell of wood and varnish was part of my husband's childhood memories. I got him involved in a local Men in Sheds group, and although he couldn't use the machinery there, he got a lot of satisfaction from varnishing furniture there, and the familiar smells of the workshop put him at ease.

Fruity smells were a particular favourite and I found a lemon shower gel and a lime shower gel which he particularly liked to use and which made him feel good.

He had a particular aftershave that he loved to wear and I always put a quick squirt of it on his wrist too, and he would happily sniff it at various times during the day.

Occasionally I would come across magazines with free samples of perfumes and aftershave - or with pages impregnated with those scents. I would collect them, then we'd both sniff them and decide which we liked best.

One of my husband's favourite jobs was being the first to open a new jar of coffee. It was a combination of the satisfying sound of popping the seal across the top of the jar, together with the sudden release of the smell of fresh coffee, that made it such a favourite job.

On the rare occasions my husband was off his food I found that the smell of onions, bacon or garlic frying would soon whet his appetite.

He used to pick mint leaves in the garden and crush them in his hand for the smell, which he loved.

Status
Not open for further replies.