Ideas to help someone with dementia keep up with news and current affairs

Status
Not open for further replies.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
In addition to the ‘News’ , I find my husband now loves watching wildlife programmes, especially David Attenborough ones, and because he forgets them I can put them on multiple times.
did you see the new one last night just started with david attenborough that @MaNaAk was talking about on the thread Next Chapter

Helly68

Mar 12, 2018
My father has a newspaper (early memory problems) which he goes to the end of his road every day to buy. He does read it, though I think over time he will lose this. It allows us to talk about some (less worrying or contentious) stories, and even more importantly, it is something he has always done, enjoys, and it gets him out of the house as part of a routine.
I think even if he was unable to read it all, I would still get it as it is an important thing for him and he would be devastated to realise that he could no longer understand it. I found newspapers in care homes took on a different purpose (ownership, something to hide behind or do) beyond reading the news. I concur with the idea of simplified news. I discovered that my Mum (mixed dementia) retained the ability to read simple large text, long after I thought she had lost the ability. We read children's books, but I can see that this would not suit all, and she wasn;t phased by the idea that they might be for children, she just enjoyed them.

Knitandpurl

Aug 9, 2021
Lincolnshire
My Mum reads several books a week, can’t tell me what any of them are about, but she seems to enjoy them. It was a major problem for me during the various lock downs to get books for her. She hasn’t read a newspaper for years now (94), undiagnosed dementia in a Care Home, but she still has her ‘Peoples Friend’ delivered, rips out knitting patterns for me, and it gets passed on to other residents .

Knitandpurl

Aug 9, 2021
Lincolnshire
did you see the new one last night just started with david attenborough that @MaNaAk was talking about on the thread Next Chapter
Absolutely amazing the photography, I will never look at my garden the same again. It gives my husband and I something to talk about. He finds dramas, films etc impossible to follow so programmes where you can ‘dip in and out’ are great.

HarrietD

Staff Member
Staff member
Apr 29, 2014
London
Thanks to everyone who's contributed to this discussion - we really appreciate it.

This thread will now be closed :)

Status
Not open for further replies.