Ideas to help a person with dementia shop for clothes

Status
Not open for further replies.

HarrietD

Staff Member
Staff member
Apr 29, 2014
London
Our latest magazine shares ideas about how to approach shopping for clothes as someone's dementia progresses.

How have you adapted how a person with dementia shops for clothes? Have there been things that have made the experience of travelling to and being in a clothes shop easier?

Share any comments below by 3 May, or email them to magazine@alzheimers.org.uk

Thanks everyone :)

Bebeth

Jan 20, 2022
I am so lucky with small local shops , the last time I took mum shopping I had to bring some choices down the stairs ! She manages up not down ! Anyway the shop assistant was delightful and made easy conversation with mum . I helped her on and off and try to let her pay herself which with a willing assistant is a real boost . I find too that the promise of a wee cuppa gets mum out to shop .
My other option is ordering online and I really think The House of Bruar is great they cater for many tastes and are quite traditional so the styles suit mum she can try them in her own home . It’s a tough one but I think for self esteem it’s good to try !
Anyone found that it’s hard to get your loved one to change ?? Mum would wear clothes forever and does not feel that they should be washed unless visibly dirty , she gets cross if I wash them !

HarrietD

Staff Member
Staff member
Apr 29, 2014
London
Thanks @Bebeth for your thoughts on this :) If anyone else has any ideas about how to make shopping for clothes a better or easier experience for someone with dementia, or things that have worked well, please feel free to leave a comment.

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
@HarrietD, just spotted this under What’s New section having just posted about lingerie shopping for a PWD which I found so stressful, especially as there are so very few staff to consult with.

HarrietD

Staff Member
Staff member
Apr 29, 2014
London
@Agzy, I'm really sorry to hear that it was stressful and that there was a lack of staff around to ask. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.