1. dillon

dillon Registered User

Apr 19, 2006
    Medway
    hello I am new on here.

My Nan has alzeimers and my grandad was her carer until recent when he passed away.

I finish work this friday to care for my nan who has moved into to my parents house full time.

I need to do things with her to keep her to try and help her and was wondering if what everyone else does.

so far She loves Ironing can do it for hours so keeps her busy for a bit.

I have got her into a day care centre on a Monday and was going to go to a coffee morning with her on a friday.

We are in Medway Kent, so if anyone knows anything going on that would be good for her please let me know.

Thank you

2. dmc

dmc Registered User

Mar 13, 2006
    Hello dillon

welcome to TP

sorry i dont live in your area which is a shame cos ive got loads of ironing she could do:)

on a more serious note, as long as my mum is outside she's happy so we'll be taking her on little trips, i have a car so im lucky there,
    her attention span isnt great so its hard to keep her interested in things for a long length of time, anyway im sure you'll get loads more ideas from the others on TP
    sounds like you got a good start already

best wishes

3. Áine

Áine Registered User

Hi Dillon

Your nan sounds quite a bit more able than my dad (then again ...... I'm not sure he was EVER able to iron ;)

Family photos, and scrapbooks or memories are fun and interesting. Books and videos - dad can't concentrate enough to follow a plot or anything - but videos of places he's visited, railway engines, wildlife etc can interest him for a while. Likewise, books of old photos of cities he's lived in, places he's visited.

Good luck in your new job

Áine

4. Angel

Angel Registered User

Apr 24, 2006
    How lovely that a young person is willing to give up his job to care for his Grandmother. Good on you. I took my mother (in a home) to a garden centre for a look round. She loved all the colourful flowers . Everything she described as orangey red so I told her the true colours. It is like teaching a young child again. She may not remember those colours next time but we had fun with them. She likes a walk around a pond and points out the ducks. She enjoys going shopping with me when out and the interaction with former friends and acquaintances. You could try to play pairs (cards) or dominoes. She will love some old time music. She will sing along and know the words. Try Frank Sinatra, Vera Lynn, Bing Crosby etc. I've asked my children to play me the Beatles when I've gone the same way!
    Try and get the day centre to have your Nan more days per week, so that you get your break. Good luck. A.

5. Margarita

Margarita Registered User

Feb 17, 2006
    london
    From another AZ site that said that they do not mind shareing

Sort poker chips
    Rake leaves
    Roll yarn into a ball
    Clean out a pumpkin
    Reminisce about a favorite summer
    Make a brithday cake
    Bake cookies
    Use the carpet sweeper
    Read out loud
    Count tickets
    Look up names in the phone book
    Read the daily paper out loud
    Ask a friend, neighbor, church acquaintance who has a baby or young child to visit
    Listen to polka music
    Plant seeds indoors or out
    Look at family photographs
    Toss a ball
    Color pictures
    Make homemade lemonade
    Wipe off the table
    Weed the flower bed
    Make cream cheese mints (2 lbs powdered sugar, 8 ozs cream cheese, 2 drops peppermint extract, food coloring as desired, knead together and press into mint molds.)
    Have a spelling bee
    Read aloud from the Reader's Digest
    Fold clothes
    Have a neighbor or friend who has a calm pet visit
    Cut pictures out of greeting cards
    Wash silverware
    Bake homemade bread
    Sort objects such as beads by shape or color
    Sing Christmas carols
    Say "tell me more" when they start talking about a memory
    Put silverware away
    Make a Valentine collage
    Play favorite songs & sing together
    Take a ride
    Make a cherry pie
    Read aloud from labels
    Dye Easter eggs
    Make a basket of socks
    Take a walk
    Reminisce about the 1st day of school
    String Cheerios to hang outside for the birds
    Make a fresh fruit salad
    Sweep the patio
    Color paper shamrocks green
    Fold towels
    Have afternoon tea
    Remember great inventions
    Play Pictionary
    Paint a sheet
    Cut out paper dolls
    Identify states and capitols
    Make a family tree poster
    Color a picture of our flag
    Cook hot dogs outside
    Grow magic rocks
    Water house plants
    Reminisce about the first kiss
    Play horseshoes
    Dance
    Sing favorite hymns
    Make homemade ice cream
    Force bulbs for winter blooming
    Make christmas cards
    Sort playing cards by their color
    Write a letter to a family member
    Dress in red on a football Saturday
    Pop popcorn
    Name the presidents
    Give a manicure
    Make paper butterflies
    Plant a tree
    Make a May basket
    Make homemade applesauce
    Finish famous sayings
    Feed the ducks
    Mold with Playdough
    Look at pictures in a National Geographic Magazine
    Put a simple puzzle together
    Sand wood
    Rub in hand lotion with a pleasant scent
    Decorate paper place mats
    Arrange fresh flowers
    Remember famous people
    Straighten underwear drawer
    Finish nursery rhymes
    Make peanut butter sandwiches
    Wipe off patio furniture
    Cut up used paper for scratch paper
    Take care of a fish tank
    Trace and cut out leaves
    Ask simple trivia questions
    Finish Bible quotes
    Paint with string
    Cut out pictures from magazines
    Read classic short stories
    Put coins into a jar
    Sew sewing cards
    Put bird feed out for birds

6. Tender Face

Tender Face Account Closed

Mar 14, 2006
    NW England
    Getting out and about

Hi Dillon!

If you're keen to get grandma out and about are there any local history societies/museums/archives around? (we have LOADS here - a lot to do with the Industrial Revolution I believe!). I'm thinking along the slideshows (usually with afternoon tea!) they often run.... the good old local library is a good bet for finding out about them and lots of others... Also, have you tried your local council website or do they run anykind of magazine? - ours is particuarly good for promoting local activities for all age groups and abilities. (Often free, or a nominal cost with details of accessibility etc).

Best of luck, full of admiration - not just for what you're doing but how you're going about doing it!! Brilliant!

Love, Karen (TF)

7. jarnee

jarnee Registered User

Mar 18, 2006
    leicestershire
    Hi Dillon,

Isn't it funny how you can make a judgement on a person, just by reading a few lines of what they write on the internet.

I think you're fab, Dillon!!! Well done you, for looking after your nan and for planning to do a good and loving job of it. Do stay around TP, won't you.

Oh and THANKS, MARGARITA!!!! for posting so many ideas and leaving practically none for the rest of us to offer CHEERS!!!

Just teasing :D

Good luck, Dillon, glad you found TP.

Jarnee,
    X

8. noelphobic

noelphobic Registered User

Feb 24, 2006
    Liverpool
    That's all well and good but what will they do in the afternoon :D :eek:

9. jarnee

jarnee Registered User

Mar 18, 2006
    leicestershire
    Thanks, Noelphobic...You made me laugh out loud at the end of 2 rubbish days ! :D
    J
    X

10. Lynne

Lynne Registered User

Jun 3, 2005
    Suffolk,England
    Hiya Dillon

A bit late in on this thread, you've certainly got a few ideas now (Huh, after Margarita's great list, "follow that!") but just wanted to add my congratulations & good wishes for good times with your gradmother whilst she is still active and able to get out & about with you.
    My own Mum is 87, and seems most at ease with things she can remember from over 10 years back (before her AD began to show) I suppose things from the past are 'no-pressure' subjects, whereas life now is (mentally) becoming more of a struggle.

I hope your Grandmother and all her family can have many good times together while she still feels likegetting out (especially now the sun is shining). Sieze the day!

11. Margarita

Margarita Registered User

Feb 17, 2006
    london
    jarnee same hear noelphobic made me lol :) to

Took my mum to a pub Lunch to day Only thing with getting mum out side , is that she can not walk to far ,last week when I took her to a pub lunch she went in a wheelchair ,today she would not get in to one ,so mum learn on me & brother arm , on the way back it was hard going it’s a shame really as I would love to take her for a walk around the park , she lean hard on my arm & I have sciatica