Ideas needed to Stop my mother from going out

Tburg69

Mar 29, 2020
Hi everyone, I'm new here and looking for ideas because we have run out. My mother who has mod Alzheimers lives on her own in warden aided bungalow she has a carer in a morning and a meal brought to her at lunch the main hub is in lock down. She also has a couple of companions during day, my sister is usually available but she has asthma so is isolating. The coop is a short walk away and mom is desperate to get there and continues to go out of the house on her own. We have taken scooter and walkers away from mom (she doesn't use them in house) to discourage her Has anyone any ideas of ways to stop her going out and putting everyone at risk?

Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside
Welcome to DTP @Tburg69
Unfortunately this is a problem a lot of people are having at the moment.
Please keep posting as you’ll get lots of support here.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hello @Tburg69 . Im afraid that this is happening all over the country. People with dementia are unable to understand why they cant go out and even if you do manage to explain, they dont remember.
Some people have found that printing out a very official looking notice for the front door works, but generally they will either ignore it or become angry.
Unfortunately, there simply is no answer.

Tburg69

Mar 29, 2020
Hello @Tburg69 . Im afraid that this is happening all over the country. People with dementia are unable to understand why they cant go out and even if you do manage to explain, they dont remember.
Some people have found that printing out a very official looking notice for the front door works, but generally they will either ignore it or become angry.
Unfortunately, there simply is no answer.
Thank you so much for that idea we've actually printed some this afternoon x

My Mum's Daughter

Feb 8, 2020
After Mum took herself out on a 3 mile walk, I removed all her coats and shoes from the house. She usually remembers that I've taken them to keep her safe but has been known to have the occasional meld down over this.

Margo48

Apr 4, 2020
I am new here. Having the same problem with my 81 year old husband who still thinks he is invincible.

Tburg69

Mar 29, 2020
After Mum took herself out on a 3 mile walk, I removed all her coats and shoes from the house. She usually remembers that I've taken them to keep her safe but has been known to have the occasional meld down over this.
Oh I say that is a good idea not thought of that thank you we can try.......x

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
I agree with your decision to take away the scooter.
Have you though through the walker? If she falls and ends up in hospital?
If you want covid just go to hospital!
Anyone she comes in contact with will jump out the way and look at her as if she has leprosy, that will build in a level of protection for her.
Can you print off some ’ wash your hands when you return home‘ signs and put on the front door, and the fridge.

Tburg69

Mar 29, 2020
I agree with your decision to take away the scooter.
Have you though through the walker? If she falls and ends up in hospital?
If you want covid just go to hospital!
Anyone she comes in contact with will jump out the way and look at her as if she has leprosy, that will build in a level of protection for her.
Can you print off some ’ wash your hands when you return home‘ signs and put on the front door, and the fridge.
Thank you for ur wise words and yes good signs will do

Dryj20

Mar 26, 2020
Multiple phone calls each day from me and my brother and sister just to check along with daily newspaper drop (she is desperate to go to the shop to buy papers) to reinforce the stay at home message are working for us so far

Mandybru

Apr 6, 2020
Hi everyone,
I’m new here and need some advice about my mother and father- in - law, who are both in their 70s and 80s, living in London (me and my husband live in Manchester)
my mother in-law has Alzheimer’s and my father in-law is being diagnosed with dementia, but we’re pretty sure he has it.
They have a carer who comes to the house 4times a day.
We have all explained the Covid situation to the them loads of times, but they still continue to go out the house.
They are very forgetful. The other day, they got locked out from their house because they couldn’t find their keys, they both ended up at a neighbours. They spent the who day there.
We call them regularly and keep them updated with everything that’s been going on. (Telling them not to go out, only just go for food) Now they have stared to get angry with us For trying to keep them indoors.
When we call the house phone, 9 times out of ten, we get the answer phone, which makes us worry even more.

Does anyone have advice?

Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside
Welcome to DTP @Mandybru
Sadly it’s very difficult to keep people with dementia in as they just don’t understand what is happening.
Please keep posting as you’ll get lots of support here.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peanutbrain