Ideas for Wedding Anniversary

NoodleDoodle

Mar 16, 2015
Lincolnshire
Hi all
My Mum has had Alzheimer's for about 6 years and has been in a nursing home for 18 months after being cared at home by my Dad.
My Mum is 74, is in a wheelchair, she talks but we cannot understand most of it, she can't see/focus properly on books etc, she cannot feed/drink for herself.

It is their 48th wedding anniversary soon and my Dad has asked me to try and think of ideas for a present and/or something we can do to celebrate.
Does anyone have any ideas re a present for her, she doesn't react to much to anything you give her so it's really hard to think of something.
Thank you, Sarah x

Il Gufo

Feb 27, 2013
Gift idea

Hi, how sweet that your Dad is still putting some thought into their anniversary, even though your Mum may not appreciate it. How about a lovely, pretty blanket or throw to go on her lap when she is in her wheelchair? It could be used at the foot of her bed to brighten her room when not on her lap. Happy anniversary to them both, although I am sure the day is bittersweet for your Dad. Theirs is the true demonstration of "In sickness and in health".

NoodleDoodle

Mar 16, 2015
Lincolnshire
Thank you, what a lovely idea, I shall pass that on to Dad :)

Yes it is so lovely that he still wants to do so much for her, he travels a round trip of 60 miles every single day to see her and he will be 79 in December. I think it is his visits that keeps her going.

Thank you for your wishes too, much appreciated.

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Have you time to gather together some photos of their lives together and put them in a suitable album? Then your Dad could go through them with her at any time she is up for looking at the pictures. Also if she is eating reasonably well would the Care Home put on a table for two so they could have lunch together?

How wonderful of your Dad to want this - he needs special treatment too on their anniversary :).

NoodleDoodle

Mar 16, 2015
Lincolnshire
Thank you for responding.

I'm afraid Mum can't see very well and cannot focus on small things.

She already has lots of big photos on her wall of family etc and they have lunch together every day as Dad likes to feed her.

It's not easy thinking of things!

CeliaW

Jan 29, 2009
Hampshire
Does she still enjoy music? Maybe someone could help your Dad to put together a CD of songs from their younger days or ones that have special memories.

jimbo 111

Jan 23, 2009
North Bucks
hello Sarah
I don,t think this necessarily what you want as a present
but when my late wife was in the later stàges of AD we used to spend many hours
on Google Street view looking at views of our old home district and you can take a virtual walk and view so many houses shops etc that back memories(so far as she could remember)of our previous
life ,pre AD not only the views but many occasions that were prompted by the virtual walk
best wishes
jimbo

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
A friend of mine has a cat cushion. It is made from fur fabric and had a paw at each corner, a head at one end and a tail at the other. If you put it on your lap it is just like having a big cat lying on your lap and you find you want to stroke it. :)

Mother goose

Jul 5, 2012
Co.Sligo, Ireland
Hi Sarah,
That's lovely that your Dad wants to celebrate their anniversary. If the N/H have a room for functions, could you organise a family celebration there? Then your Mum would be in her comfort zone & it wouldn't be as stressful as taking her out.

My son got married last month & my Mum wasn't able to go. He & his new wife & her Mum & Dad are hoping to come over to us in Ireland in Sept, so he can get to see his Nan. My Mum's N/H have a separate function room, where families can get together.
I am hoping to do that for my Mum in Sept & get the rest of the family there too.

Quilty

Aug 28, 2014
GLASGOW
You could play "their song" and get one of their wedding photos enlarged. Music reaches different parts of the brain to sight. Hope you have a lovely day.