Ideas for TV programs for PWDs

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
When my mother was in the earlier stages and living at home, her TV channel of choice was ITV3. There was a period when they were re-running On The Buses and other 1970s comedies and she loved those - 'familiar' and amusing. She also loved Strictly, and watching tennis (her sport of choice).

She's been in a CH for 18 months now and can't focus on TV at all. Sometimes they play DVDs of musicals like Mamma Mia and she'll join in with the songs but she can't follow the story. She has forgotten Strictly exists.

nestle

Jul 22, 2016
Southwest but Yorkie by birth
In our case I've found its his life long interests that he can still engage with. So we 've used iplayer a lot to find history and science documentaries. There was a programme on Einstein and he watched it over and over again whilst it was available.I 've also recorded stuff as well if its on too late after he has gone to bed.

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
Dads lovely neighbour has classic fm on the go, I’m in bliss mode & Dad is content. Off to get a radio later on so the poor chap next door can turn off his radio!!!

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
Have you got your own TV you can watch while she enjoys her repeats?
Yes but as it is in my (boxroom) office it really is not a place to relax and be entertained in and we have no 2nd room downstairs but, she is so content watching all the repeats she would be devastated if it was denied her so, needs must...

Alanor

Feb 12, 2019
I bought box sets of MASH, Cheers and still game. My husband loves them. He is happy to watch them over again at the moment and likes the characters in them.

Lucianne

Jun 30, 2017
My OH was never very keen on watching TV but enjoyed some documentaries and comedies but never on ITV as adverts made him very cross. He has been in care since March and each week I download Dad's Army and Mrs Brown's Boys when it is on and we watch it together on my small ipad but it fills half an hour and he seems to enjoy it. Mostly, though, I take CDs in and we listen to those together and occasionally download a music programme (probably from BBC4) and watch that together. He can't work a TV or CD player himself - but was never very good at that sort of technical work!

We tried Buster Keaton and that helped for a while but by the time he went into care he got bored very quickly. He loved Jacques Tati films but became too long for his length of concentration.
Lucianne

grpop

Nov 17, 2016
My wife spends most of the time watching UK gold, last of the summer wine, fools and horses, hi Di hi, etc. She is happy to watch the news over and again

Shazza131

Sep 18, 2019
My mum watches and answers the questions on quiz programmes...he chase, tipping point.
She also watches midsummer murders to.

mickeyplum

Feb 22, 2018
My husband loves Tipping Point even though he no longer follows the questions. He likes Murder In Paradise for the lovely vacation and jokey atmosphere but hasn't a clue what's happening.
His old favourites, Dad's Army , Last of The Summer Wine and Only Fools and Horses are all a no-no. He can't follow the plots and doesn't get the jokes and will sit stony-faced thoughout or say, 'What are we watching this for?'
He seems to enjoy documentaries, nature or animals, travel, Egypt. In fact anything where he cans just sit and be in his own world. War films or documentaries as OK too as long as there's plenty of action and not too much talking.

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
My mother in law, an ex English lecturer loves dvds of Dickens and Shakespeare. In fact any classic series goes down well. I guess the fact she knows them so well hells.

AbbyGee

Nov 26, 2018
Portsmouth, South Coast
OH is ex-RN. News and News and News. He enjoys ships, ships, ships, history, trains, trains, trains, animals, trains, geography, trains and more ships. Rescue at sea. Nothing that needs following one episode to another. Repair shed. Drama channel's fictional crime (or maybe that's just my chewing gum for the brain choice). Trains. Trains. Trains. Ships. And Murder in Paradise - but who doesn't enjoy that lovely, gentle, fun and updated whodunnit with the brilliantly overplayed denouement?
I'm peed off with Trains so am getting him into the fictional crime. Maybe. :(

Daffers

Feb 28, 2016
Morning. My husband used to have the news on all day. He also liked nature programme and escape to the country. Until in the later stages he didn't like tv. He enjoyed listening to Roy Orbison cd. We joined a fantastic singing group. We both enjoyed it. They were very caring and understanding. We had fun and social interaction in a safe place. My husband died a year ago. But I have such lovely memories to help me through my good and bad days. Cherish your special time together.x

vannesser

Apr 4, 2016
My oh watches murder she wrote.
The bill and Jack Frost .then watches repeat at week ends the trouble is if thers a murder on them he goes mad as there’s all ways murders nd some of titles on programs tell you that .the only time he watches comedy’s he soon falls a sleep and tells every one it was a good program but he knot seen it

mickeyplum

Feb 22, 2018
Morning. My husband used to have the news on all day. He also liked nature programme and escape to the country. Until in the later stages he didn't like tv. He enjoyed listening to Roy Orbison cd. We joined a fantastic singing group. We both enjoyed it. They were very caring and understanding. We had fun and social interaction in a safe place. My husband died a year ago. But I have such lovely memories to help me through my good and bad days. Cherish your special time together.x
I'm so sorry to hear about your husband but it sounds like you made his life as happy as possible. That's all the rest of us can try to do with our own loved ones, even when we're often tearing our hair out. I hope your lovely memories will bring you comfort

Greens

Apr 29, 2018
My mum has watched Coronation street for over 30 years but finds it hard to follow now. She also likes detectives such as Vera and Death in Paradise but not watched them so much lately. Pre dementia she could not abide swearing and didn't appreciate humour but has now taken to watching Mrs Browns' Boys!

Roseleigh

Dec 26, 2016
How wonderful that your memories even of your time living with the unwanted guest, dementia, are stIll happy.
I feel one of the worst things is that this unhappy time is destroying and pushing out memories of happier days, and that I shall be left with memories of this shadow figure dominating.