Ideas for supper

Grandma Joan

Mar 29, 2013
Wiltshire
I need to leave tea out for my MIL

She will have had a hot meal at lunchtime so can you give me some ideas

Only needs to be small, she doesn't eat much, but needs to look attractive, a plate of something she would want to take into her lounge and eat watching the telly, you know the sort of thing ....

But beyond a small sandwich or sausage roll my mind has gone blank :confused:

Finger foods

Hopefully several heads will be better than one !

Last edited:

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
I don't cook for John on the days he goes to daycare for the same reason. A salad sandwich and one of those jellies with fruit in it/ homemade soup and a sliced Apple/crackers and cheese and a banana.

Anything there to suit her?

Grandma Joan

Mar 29, 2013
Wiltshire
I don't cook for John on the days he goes to daycare for the same reason. A salad sandwich and one of those jellies with fruit in it/ homemade soup and a sliced Apple/crackers and cheese and a banana.

Anything there to suit her?

Ah thankyou, those fruit jellies are a godsend aren't they, hydrating too, she won't warm up soup though so has to be finger food .

Last edited:

Witzend

Aug 29, 2007
SW London
Cocktail sausages, or a cooked one cut up? Old fashioned cubes of cheese and pineapple? Small Ritz type biscuits with something nice on top - maybe cream cheese and a little bit of ham, or a small prawn?

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
My mum could eat two cooked meals a day right to the end lol so we just used a microwave ready meal on the evenings she wasn't coming to us for supper - rare lol but if we did need a sandwich type meal i used to treat her to a filling that she loved but was a bit expensive - smoked salmon and some little tomatoes. The other things people have suggested sound lovely x

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
mini pork pie, mini scotch egg, filled vol-au-vent, cheese straws with dips, individual pot or packets of prepared fruit (or use small Tupperware pot and prepare her favourites), slices of pizza (I know not everyone likes pizza cold), fruit cake with cheese, small individually wrapped cakes, packets of dried fruits/nuts, individual trifle or rice pudding or mousse etc, small bottle of smoothie or milkshake, samosa, onion bhagi, slices of veg with dips, hard boiled egg, mini filled rolls, supermarket prepared salad,
must stop - hungry

CeliaW

Jan 29, 2009
Hampshire
The things I was thinking of have mostly been mentioned but I am starving now after reading the posts!

My only other thought was a "cuppa soup" if she will boil the kettle - maybe even one with the pasta in? If she won't heat up soup, could you leave some in a small thermos flask or similar if she is OK safety wise to pour it out. I think it depends on the make and obviously how long it will be left but you could also do soup in one of these (other stores/ makes are available etc...)

www.johnlewis.com/thermos-desk-mugs/p1816241

garnuft

Sep 7, 2012
Mam developed a taste for Chinese food, she loved sweet and sour.

Sometimes before i left, I would flash in the oven portions of supermarket dim sums....mini chicken satay, mini wontons, mini Spring rolls, small packet of prawn crackers.
I used to slice cucumber and a scallion on the side, but in role-reversal, she always left the greens!

And after a lifetime of dieting, she loved anything that resembled a R*vita, so (as she was as small as a spuggy, and loved butter) I lathered butter on crackerbread with cream cheese and ham.

Slices of quiche...
Think canapés ....the shops are full of them at the moment, freezer friendly.

Every supper time Mam had a little cocktail party to herself, sans cocktails :)

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Pear trees

Jan 25, 2015
My suggestions: Mini cornish pasties or scotch eggs (big packs can be frozen). Custard, jelly or fruit pots. Individual fruit pies or angel slices. Crackers and cheese spread slices. Grapes and mandarin segments.

Grandma Joan

Mar 29, 2013
Wiltshire
Thank you so much everyone, so many brilliant ideas, I knew it was a good idea to ask you guys !

I've been g**gling, canapes & finger buffet food too so even more ideas

and freezing them so there is a constant supply is a great idea

I'm hungry now too!

Have a great weekend :D

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JL513