• We're currently experiencing technical issues with our newsletter software, so our Dementia Talking Point monthly updates have been put on hold for now. We hope to restart the newsletter soon.

Find out more >here<.

Ideas for keeping carpets clean and free from urine smell

Ginnykk5

Jan 6, 2015
Hemel Hempstead
Has anyone got any suggestions for quick cleaning carpets when they have been urinated on?
My dad takes his nappys off at night and then wee's everywhere . Just wondered if any one had tips on products available to make sure you don't get that awful urine smell in the house.

I use 1001 spray at the moment, anyone have any better product suggestions?

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
When John had a spell of incontinence I bought lengths of carpet protector from Amazon. My recollection is that each is eight or ten feet long and about £10. It runs from under his side of the bed to the toilet so if he doesn't make it the floor is easily mopped.

I also invested in an electric carpet cleaner £147 which included a large canister of shampoo. That has been a good buy too.

In fact the incontinence stopped being a problem once he was back in a routine and his infection cleared up.

cobden28

Jan 31, 2012
Carpet cleaning

If possible, get fid of fitted carpets and replace it with vinyl or some other easily washable flooring - you can have washable rugs which aren't as difficult to keep clean as a fitted carpet.

It's no trouble to pop a washable rug in the washing machine if it's been wee'd or poo'd on and a lot less hassle than cleaning a fitted carpet. Pet stain removers remove 99% of any stain but you need a professional carpet cleaner in for stain removal to be effective.

Rageddy Anne

Feb 21, 2013
Cotswolds
I discovered a product in a blue plastic bottle with a brush attached to the top...It was very good with pet accidents, and when husband was doubly incontinent...name starts with Dr. and sounds rather like a famous footballer married to a spice girl...

Available in a posh supermarket.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
I discovered a product in a blue plastic bottle with a brush attached to the top...It was very good with pet accidents, and when husband was doubly incontinent...name starts with Dr. and sounds rather like a famous footballer married to a spice girl...

Available in a posh supermarket.
I believe you can name products as long as you have no interest in the company.

Bisham

Dec 29, 2012
North London
Why not get a 'all in one' with a zip up the back. They are made for night wear and day time. I think the company is called Medoris

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point