1. Expert Q&A: Living well as a carer - Thurs 29 August, 3-4pm

As a carer for a person living with dementia, the needs of the person you care for will often come before your own. You may experience a range of difficult emotions and you may not have the time to do all the things you need to do. Caring can have a big impact on both your mental and physical health, as well as your overall wellbeing.

Angelo, our Knowledge Officer (Wellbeing) is our expert on this topic. He will be here to answer your questions on Thursday 29 August between 3-4pm.

You can either post questions >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll answer as many as we can on the day.

Ideas for keeping carpets clean and free from urine smell

Discussion in 'I care for a person with dementia' started by Ginnykk5, May 27, 2017.

1. Ginnykk5

Ginnykk5 Registered User

Jan 6, 2015
    Hemel Hempstead
    Has anyone got any suggestions for quick cleaning carpets when they have been urinated on?
    My dad takes his nappys off at night and then wee's everywhere . Just wondered if any one had tips on products available to make sure you don't get that awful urine smell in the house.

I use 1001 spray at the moment, anyone have any better product suggestions?

2. reedysue

reedysue Registered User

Nov 4, 2014
    Scotland
    Pet shops sell various products for neutralising urine smells that are very effective.

3. nitram

nitram Registered User

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    North Manchester
  4. marionq

marionq Registered User

Apr 24, 2013
    Female
    Scotland
    When John had a spell of incontinence I bought lengths of carpet protector from Amazon. My recollection is that each is eight or ten feet long and about £10. It runs from under his side of the bed to the toilet so if he doesn't make it the floor is easily mopped.

I also invested in an electric carpet cleaner £147 which included a large canister of shampoo. That has been a good buy too.

In fact the incontinence stopped being a problem once he was back in a routine and his infection cleared up.

5. cobden28

cobden28 Registered User

Jan 31, 2012
    Carpet cleaning

If possible, get fid of fitted carpets and replace it with vinyl or some other easily washable flooring - you can have washable rugs which aren't as difficult to keep clean as a fitted carpet.

It's no trouble to pop a washable rug in the washing machine if it's been wee'd or poo'd on and a lot less hassle than cleaning a fitted carpet. Pet stain removers remove 99% of any stain but you need a professional carpet cleaner in for stain removal to be effective.

6. Rageddy Anne

Rageddy Anne Registered User

Feb 21, 2013
    Cotswolds
    I discovered a product in a blue plastic bottle with a brush attached to the top...It was very good with pet accidents, and when husband was doubly incontinent...name starts with Dr. and sounds rather like a famous footballer married to a spice girl...

Available in a posh supermarket.

7. Saffie

Saffie Registered User

Mar 26, 2011
    Female
    Near Southampton
    I believe you can name products as long as you have no interest in the company.

8. Bisham

Bisham Registered User

Dec 29, 2012
    North London
    Why not get a 'all in one' with a zip up the back. They are made for night wear and day time. I think the company is called Medoris

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

9. angelaraphael

angelaraphael Registered User

May 29, 2017
    concentrated orange cleaner

this is made of nothing but oranges and does a great job