Ideas for donations

Status
Not open for further replies.

janemary

Feb 1, 2004
Enfield
We are a support group for a continuing care ward. We have raised several thousand pounds in donations and would like ideas as to what to spend it on. We would like to be able to say to one of our larger donators that we have bought something specific with their money. We would like it to be something that would really benenfit the patients wellbeing or improve their quality of life, They all have severe problems and not very interactive staff.

SWMBO1950

Nov 17, 2011
Essex
Hi Janemary

Cushions for chairs to help prevent sores are a very useful thing to buy, also those 'squidgy' cushions that can help someone sit up straight instead of lolling to one side or the other. They have both of these in the home my FIL is in and I am sure you can never have enough of either.

I would suggest soft balls for playing catch (no matter how bad they are at it) but if staff don't help it could maybe be a little useless but family could do it.

Best Wishes

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
I'm afraid that I'm not sure what a 'Continuing Care' ward exactly means. Is it in a hospital? If so, I would imagine playing 'catch' might be problematic and surely memory foam cushions are already available in a hospital- but perhaps not. If we knew what was already there, it might help us suggest other things.

creativesarah

Apr 22, 2010
Upton Northamptonshire
are the staff not very interactive or is it the patients?

could you use the money to pay for an activities organiser or to pay someone to come in and play the piano so they could sing if they felt like it?

sarahg

Oct 11, 2012
On the ward I volunteer on we have had things such as
- Musicians perform
- Lady came in and do peoples nails/toenails/general pamper session
- Perhaps buy some music from older times - particularly if it's an older adult ward

I agree about good chairs, ward chairs are not very good usually!
Also perhaps some plants or a little indoor gardening kit so they could watch the plants/flowers grow?

NeverGiveUp

May 17, 2011
Staff training to make them into caring individuals.

Information packs for the relatives/patient which have positive and up to date info. In it maybe things which relatives can use to interact with their loved ones, maybe space for a kind of memory book or other things the person liked.

I find that the worse thing when I have had to visit a ward day after day is finding things to talk about, particularly if the person visited might not be at home. I have seen relatives talking to those who seem too far gone to know what is said, but how do we know?

Communication aid, touchy feely things, person specific so that germs aren't spead.

WILLIAMR

Account Closed
Apr 12, 2014
I only listened once but the care home my step mother was in had an entertainer come for an hour on a Thursday afternoon.
He charged £45 and stayed for a bit longer if he was not going elsewhere.
Visitors tried to get the residents to dance a bit.

William

Last edited by a moderator:

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Can I point out that this is a fairly old thread, and the OP hasn't logged in for over a year. As such, I'm closing the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.