Ideas for Christmas

JennSymo542

Nov 6, 2017
Hi,

I'm not sure how useful an idea this is but I was wondering, as we're nearing Christmas now, whether it would be handy to have a thread dedicated to ideas for Christmas gifts for our loved ones who are at various stages of living with Dementia and Alzheimers...? Perhaps you know of some assisted technology shops or websites that could be practical, or something home-made

My thought was mainly for those of us for which it is a recent diagnosis and perhaps are struggling for ideas of how to make the holiday season a little more bearable and enjoyable for them. For my father personally, he isn't aware of the upcoming holiday season at all but we'd still like to give him a nice day and spoil him a bit if we can. We're planning on venturing to a restaurant for the first time as well.

Anyway, if there's any useful suggestions you think would be helpful to other people then feel free to post them here.

Thank you
Jen x

MorryLou

Jun 19, 2017
Newcastle
Hi Jen
I think it is a great idea to get ideas from others for gifts for our loved ones with dementia.
My mother who is in the early stages has expressed an interest in a simple computer tablet so we are on the lookout. There are plenty of apps out there and have been recommended a few.
She has lost patience with crochet and knitting but may do ok with a jigsaw (not too large). She likes doing wordsearches (takes forever but still able to do) so a puzzle book it is (may even be able to do this on the tablet).
Since smell is a very provocative trigger of memories, I think some scent she used to use a while ago will do the trick. I have been putting together a photo album for her to help her 'remember' and I will try to make some strawberry tarts for her (like her mother used to make) to also trigger childhood memories.
These are my suggestions :)

Mandymoos

Nov 28, 2017
Hi I am new to the forum. My dad has had alzheimers for 15 years and is now in the late stages. I have worked in early years childcare all my life and have a lot of experience of children with special educational needs and disabilities Presents are difficult for those in late stages as they have few interests. However, my dad was in the police and he loves hats. I have loaned a real Met police helmet for him. We wrapped it up for his birthday and he face was proceless when he saw what it was. He knew i could tell. When i visit him i get it down from top of wardrobe and we do role play! I walk around with him weariung it making all the other residents laugh. He loves all hats so this christmas ve been scouring charity shops for different hats; havana, flat cap, trilby etc and have wrapped them up. He was also in the army as a young man and so in the past ive bought toy soldeiers for him to handle. My dad is very sensoriol and likes to fidget with his hands. So ive also bought a leather wallet before then had photos of him as a kid, in army and as a policemman laminated credit card size and filled the wallet with these. This was also a major help when i was fgoing through the stage whereby he would try to open car door when i was driving! The wallet kept him focussed. Ive joked with my children over the years that if i get dementia they can buy me dolls etc to play with just like i had as a child!

Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
Kent
Hi I am new to the forum. My dad has had alzheimers for 15 years and is now in the late stages. I have worked in early years childcare all my life and have a lot of experience of children with special educational needs and disabilities Presents are difficult for those in late stages as they have few interests. However, my dad was in the police and he loves hats. I have loaned a real Met police helmet for him. We wrapped it up for his birthday and he face was proceless when he saw what it was. He knew i could tell. When i visit him i get it down from top of wardrobe and we do role play! I walk around with him weariung it making all the other residents laugh. He loves all hats so this christmas ve been scouring charity shops for different hats; havana, flat cap, trilby etc and have wrapped them up. He was also in the army as a young man and so in the past ive bought toy soldeiers for him to handle. My dad is very sensoriol and likes to fidget with his hands. So ive also bought a leather wallet before then had photos of him as a kid, in army and as a policemman laminated credit card size and filled the wallet with these. This was also a major help when i was fgoing through the stage whereby he would try to open car door when i was driving! The wallet kept him focussed. Ive joked with my children over the years that if i get dementia they can buy me dolls etc to play with just like i had as a child!
The wallet is a brilliant idea! I never would have thought of such a thing, but it is a familiar object and filled with familiar images. Superb.

Malalie

Sep 1, 2016
These Robert Opie books are brilliant,
https://www.amazon.co.uk/1950s-Scra...511881092&sr=1-1&keywords=the+1950s+scrapbook

especially in a care home situation where you can find that all sorts of people will join in the conversation whilst you read them with your PWD. They are large, with beautiful clear illustrations yet light to hold, packed with pictures of products and media of the day - he’s done quite a few all for different decades.

It’s amazing how many memories MIL had about things pre 1950, and I think it made her feel good to tell us things that we didn’t know for a change. She could remember where the yellow McDougalls flour tin stood in her Mums kitchen 60 odd years ago, but she couldn’t remember whether she’d had a cup of tea or what my name was….

It was during one of these conversations that she told me about her Mums Gas iron which she had to connect to the gas supply. A GAS IRON??? Thought it was just another one of Mums confabulations until we googled it!
Just a suggestion…..

Melles Belles

Jul 4, 2017
South east
I’m going to get my Dad a Robert Opie book for Xmas. Dad hardly talks about anything post 1962!
Thanks for the idea as I was struggling to think of much to buy
M

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
I'm definitely looking into the Robert Opie books. Dad comes alive when he talk about the past. Sister bought him a book called "wood" which had a pic of little Morton Hall in it. Turns out dad worked there when he was an apprentice joiner.

He now thinks he's going to help me with my latest house renovation. I wish he still could. He did until he was 85.

Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
Kent
I recognised the surname Opie...my OH bought me Iona and Peter Opie’s wonderful books about childhood games and the origin of nursery rhymes. It is a little ironic that this year I will get him one of these Robert Opie books, to stimulate memories and conversation. They look really good...it seems Robert has followed in his parents footsteps.

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
Something I have just seen which would have been ideal for dad and his finger fidgeting..sadly first Christmas present I don't have to think of as he passed away in March...Fidget Cubes...inexpensive and look large enough not to go in mouths and sturdy to withstand lots of use so maybe worth looking at for you
all. Probably not good for a pwd who throws things but a variation to fiddle muffs already used by some

TheBearsMummy

Sep 29, 2017
East Midlands
My MiL can't remember what day it is so as her clock is broken (she has no idea what happened to it of course) we have bought one with time, date & morning/afternoon/night. We are giving it to her at Christmas so she doesn't think we are trying to tell her she has memory problems :rolleyes:
I have also bought
A calendar with a small wipeboard attached so we can write appointments etc on for her.
TV remote with only on/off, channel up/down & volume up/down buttons. We found out she calls neighbours in as her tv is often not working due to her getting confused by too many buttons
A5 size day to page diary with spiral spine so it will stay open on each day
A couple of sets of face cloth, guest towel & hand towel in pretty colours - she doesn't use the bath now:(
Tin of shortbread biscuits, she like tins & boxes to put things in.

Sadly I have realised that the clothes I have bought for her over the last couple of years have never been worn, they still have the labels in them and the lovely expensive fluffy throw we bought her to replace her old scruffy one has been given to the cat as there is nothing wrong with the one she has always used...

emmags

Nov 25, 2017
Hampshire
Wow this is great for me, I have spent the weekend looking for puzzles I could take to my dad in hospital but really struggling x

JennSymo542

Nov 6, 2017

Hi there

I am sorry for not responding to this sooner. I have recently started a new thread based around accumulating ideas for activities and games that people have found enjoyable and fun. The wallet idea is brilliant so I'll add it to the post if this is OK? I think people will find it a great idea.

Best of luck to you and your family, too.

Jen

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aliso