Idea for gift for dad who is carer?

Sarah-Kate

May 4, 2021
Those of you who are full time carers, could I get some ideas please? My dad is full time carer for my mum who has dementia but still at home with no other support (apart from me and my family).
Its my dad's 75th next week and I'm trying to think of something lovely from us. Sorted a pressie "from" my mum, and at Christmas we got him a cinema voucher which came with it the promise of someone to go with him and someone to stay with mum while he is out.
Any ideas of something treat-y that I haven't thought of?
Thank you

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
What sort of things does your dad like? In the past I've treated my husband to photographic courses, as that's his hobby. There are things such as days at a race track, or maybe a day at a hotel with a pool, gym and a good meal. Again one of you to go with him and the other to look after your mum. Often the just having a day when he doesn't have to think of her care will be enough, so a trip to the seaside or a long walk. Something he'd find tricky with your mum in tow.

Starting on a journey

Jul 9, 2019
At times I would go and watch paint dry on the promise of a day away from mum with someone covering!!

Anything you choose on the basis of cover will be appreciated, especially if he doesn’t have the responsibility of organising, or driving , or finding out directions, queuing for lunch, coffee etc. In other words a few hours without any responsibility and no cares in the world!!

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
i would just sort out cover and take him out as a surprise. maybe not tell him before hand so he doesnt have time to worry about arrangements.

update2020

Jan 2, 2020
Best present I got was a holiday with one child while the other took care of my husband. Such happy memories for all of us.