Idea for Dementia Sufferers

Discussion in 'I care for a person with dementia' started by Flossie54, Nov 12, 2015.

1. Flossie54

Flossie54 Registered User

Nov 12, 2015
    My husband and I help look after an 80 year old lady friend with Dementia and recently I hit on an idea that has brought her great joy that others also may like to do for their Dementia sufferers. Using Google maps and clicking on 'Streetscene' I have started printing off pictures of where our elderly friend lived when she was a girl. Some of the properties have luckily even been up for sale on Rightmove and I have been able to print off pictures of the modern interiors. She's been thrilled to see the pictures and it has kicked into play memories that she had forgotten and has provided a talking point for visiting friends and relatives. In addition I have followed it up with pictures of old schools, old work places etc. It's been a shot in the arm for her.

2. Raggedrobin

Raggedrobin Registered User

Jan 20, 2014
    Great idea! I visited the place where my Mum grew up a few years ago when she was more well and she loved looking at those.

3. fizzie

fizzie Registered User

Jul 20, 2011
    That is a brilliant idea, thank you for sharing xx

4. hvml

hvml Registered User

Oct 10, 2015
    North Cornwall
    What a great idea! My Dad grew up at the opposite end of the country and often talks about his childhood home. This will be ideal for him. Thanks so much

5. 1954

1954 Registered User

Jan 3, 2013
    Sidcup
    This is absolutely fantastic link. I looked at where MIL lived with pictures from 1930's and 1940's and it kept her amused for hours. Thank you

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point