ID bracelet

PDiddy

Aug 6, 2011
Hi all - I have registered hoping someone may be able to help point me in the right direction. My mam is 62 and has had early onset dementia for 7 years. When I take her out for a few hours to give my dad a rest, she can seem almost 'blinded' even when she is only a few feet away and I am worried that she is going to get lost - my dad bought her a necklace with details inside, yet I am not convinced that if she did get lost people would look at that straight away - it has a cross on the front and just looks like jewellry.
Are there places that you can get some ID bands - a bit like the charity bands started by Lance Armstrong a while back - I also think something like this would be good anyway so people know that the person has alzheimers - I know this could leave some open to exploitation, yet as my mam is still quite young people look bemused at her behaviour - if there was a national system with a clearly defined colour band - that would help - I'm sure someone else has had that as an idea already - this would help in hospital as well 'cos the treatment in hospitals for people with dementia is horrifying (in my experience) - anyway if anybody knows of a band or ID type bracelet supplier that i can contact that would be good.
Thanks in advance
Paul

elaine n

Jun 1, 2010
west country uk
Hi Paul
The only bracelet I can think of is a medic alert one. It's easily recognisable by most people and can be engraved with the information you need people to know

carla16

Jan 24, 2011
London
Hello Paul,

If it helps, Alzheimer's is selling some medical ID bracelets soon. You will have a glimpse in the christmas catalogue, and this would later be available to buy from our online shop, http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/shop, so do check from time to time.

If you have any more product ideas or suggestions that you feel you'd like to be able to buy from Alzheimer's Society, please do not hesitate to email me at carla.madrilejo@alzheimers.org.uk. :)