I was moved to write this..

After reading the stories of carers on a Facebook dementia page, I was moved to write the following post. It seemed to help some people. Please forgive me for posting it here...

I have Alzheimer's disease. I'm pretty high-functioning at the moment, but I'm on the same journey as your partners, mums and dads.
I see a lot of grief and heartache in the posts I read, and that's understandable; it's difficult to watch someone we love slip away. But please take solace in the fact that there is no pain for us when we slip into that other place where we are unaware of those around us. We are instead surrounded by those we knew at other times and in other places. We know you love us. Don't doubt it. And on behalf of all of my fellow dementia sufferers who are unable to articulate it, I'd like to say THANK YOU from the bottom of our hearts for all of the love and care you give us.
Never doubt that we know how hard it is for you, and we'd change things if we could, but we're fighting our battles too and we couldn't do it without your support.
We love you.

White Rose

Nov 4, 2018
After reading the stories of carers on a Facebook dementia page, I was moved to write the following post. It seemed to help some people. Please forgive me for posting it here...

I have Alzheimer's disease. I'm pretty high-functioning at the moment, but I'm on the same journey as your partners, mums and dads.
I see a lot of grief and heartache in the posts I read, and that's understandable; it's difficult to watch someone we love slip away. But please take solace in the fact that there is no pain for us when we slip into that other place where we are unaware of those around us. We are instead surrounded by those we knew at other times and in other places. We know you love us. Don't doubt it. And on behalf of all of my fellow dementia sufferers who are unable to articulate it, I'd like to say THANK YOU from the bottom of our hearts for all of the love and care you give us.
Never doubt that we know how hard it is for you, and we'd change things if we could, but we're fighting our battles too and we couldn't do it without your support.
We love you.
Oh my goodness @Arthur ASCII you have me in tears now, what a lovely man you are to write that piece. To hear the other side, from the PWD, is so valuable. My partner can't articulate very much these days but he does occasionally say thank you to me. I wish more than anything that I could have even just 10 minutes with the man he used to be before this horrible disease took hold. Wishing you all the best on your very difficult journey.

Mustang66

Nov 27, 2019
Oh my goodness @Arthur ASCII you have me in tears now, what a lovely man you are to write that piece. To hear the other side, from the PWD, is so valuable. My partner can't articulate very much these days but he does occasionally say thank you to me. I wish more than anything that I could have even just 10 minutes with the man he used to be before this horrible disease took hold. Wishing you all the best on your very difficult journey.

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
Thank you for your wonderful words @Arthur ASCII , I know that they will have brought comfort to so many on this forum. Your reassurance and the perspective you have is invaluable.

My late husband eventually lost the ability to write, talk or otherwise express himself - so on behalf of others like him, I thank you for stepping forward to put into words what they cannot x

Dimpsy

Sep 2, 2019
Thank you @Arthur ASCII.
My lovely mum, who lives with us, calls OH and me her treasures.
These days, I'm never sure if she knows who we are, but for now, she definitely remembers her brothers and sisters, all long gone, but not to her.
Your message gives me such comfort that mum is in a happy place.

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019

We love you.
Oh my lovely
Thank you from the bottom of my heart, your lovely post means so much. I’m going to print it if you don’t mind & keep it in my memory box.
it must be frightening at times to read posts, but I remind myself that those on the forum are usually dealing with a broken system in an underfunded area. Other areas care etc work better... & I hoe from the bottom of my heart you live in one
((((((Hugs)))))
You’ve made me cry tears of joy ... not done that for years........
A moment I will treasure always
Xx

Linton

Jul 27, 2019
In tears and at the same time comforted.. You're words mean so much.. and I know my OH would love to express the same... Xxxxxxx

Vic10

Feb 18, 2017
Well, I don’t often thank people for making me cry but you have and I do! Thankyou for posting @ArthurASCII. Wishing you well, thank you