I want to help my Dad, my Mum's carer

AmandaP

Nov 18, 2014
My Dad cares for my Mum who has Alzheimers (diagnosed 1 year)as well as other significant health problems. He's finding it increasingly difficult to cope and could do with speaking to someone on a one to one basis without my Mum being there. He lives near Matlock in Derbyshire, does anyone know where he could go to get professional advice?

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
Welcome to TP.

Has Mum had a Social Services assessment for care needs yet, or your Dad had a Carers Assessment? Dad should telephone his Local Authority Adult Social Care and ask for some help.
Or there is the local support group:
Matlock Carers Support Group
Description: 1st Monday of each month, 2.00pm-4.00pm at Matlock Town FC, 1 Causeway Lane, Matlock, DE4 3AR. A monthly group giving carers the opportunity to discuss issues affecting them.

Area served: Open to all

Target group(s): Carers of people with dementia of all ages
Telephone: 01332 208845

Email: derbyshire@alzheimers.org.uk

I'm sure he will find help and support there. I googled Alzheimer Society Matlock and this came up but there are other support groups in Derbyshire if this one does not suit.

Good Luck

AmandaP

Nov 18, 2014
Thank you very much for your response, I have taken action!!:)

Welcome to TP.

Has Mum had a Social Services assessment for care needs yet, or your Dad had a Carers Assessment? Dad should telephone his Local Authority Adult Social Care and ask for some help.
Or there is the local support group:
Matlock Carers Support Group
Description: 1st Monday of each month, 2.00pm-4.00pm at Matlock Town FC, 1 Causeway Lane, Matlock, DE4 3AR. A monthly group giving carers the opportunity to discuss issues affecting them.

Area served: Open to all

Target group(s): Carers of people with dementia of all ages
Telephone: 01332 208845

Email:

I'm sure he will find help and support there. I googled Alzheimer Society Matlock and this came up but there are other support groups in Derbyshire if this one does not suit.

Good Luck