I want to bring Ben home

Sad Scully

May 25, 2015
Southampton UK
Hello all at talking point. Thanks for the advice about contacting Social services, which my sister did for me today. I want to bring my husband home from care home and the SS will start the (probably lengthy) procedure of getting assessments etc. I have been informed that my request for a special needs bed will be a long wait as hospital discharges get priority. I do appreciate this but as I feel I have so little time left with Ben that I am wondering if there are any charitable organisations that offer a loan of adjustable bed and air mattress. I don't have a clue where to start and would love to hear from anyone with the info that I need. Ben was in the Royal Navy for 25 years so if anyone has experience of the charities linked to the Armed Forces, that may be a good place to start. Please help me if you can.

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
I did google but nothing came up-perhaps others will have more luck.

Does Ben's GP surgery have any access to OT services? That could be quicker if so. In the circumstances I would think they would rush a referral through.

Take care and good luck

Lyn T

barny

Jan 20, 2006
Herts
I didn't,t have any problem getting a electric bed for my mum when she was at home. I got it through the district nurses. The equipment all came from the medical loans. It was delivered and set up with a pressure relieving mattress, they also came and serviced it regularly. I think you must keep asking. If there is a nursing need for it they have a duty to provide it. I would ask for a manually handling assessment. If they find a need they must help you manage it with the right equipment and suitable training for you. The physio and OT were very helpful to me. Good luck.

Kjn

Jul 27, 2013
I really hope you get sorted soon sad scully to bring your Ben home .x

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone
Hello all at talking point. Thanks for the advice about contacting Social services, which my sister did for me today. I want to bring my husband home from care home and the SS will start the (probably lengthy) procedure of getting assessments etc. I have been informed that my request for a special needs bed will be a long wait as hospital discharges get priority. I do appreciate this but as I feel I have so little time left with Ben that I am wondering if there are any charitable organisations that offer a loan of adjustable bed and air mattress. I don't have a clue where to start and would love to hear from anyone with the info that I need. Ben was in the Royal Navy for 25 years so if anyone has experience of the charities linked to the Armed Forces, that may be a good place to start. Please help me if you can.

Hello , there is Saffa, the soldiers, sailors association and also the Royal legion. Phone no should be in phone book as I don't know where abouts you are . They are brilliant so plz contact them . I am sure they will help and can also put some pressure on the services. My heart goes out to you xxxxx

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Sad Scully

May 25, 2015
Southampton UK
Thank you all for your help, it is really useful info. I will contact SSAFA initially and try the other suggestions as required. I definitely think that help from Local Authority varies depending on where you live - as with so much in life. I'll let you know how I get on. I am so glad to have found talking point as I have felt so isolated in the last couple of years dealing with the heartbreak of Ben's illness. Now I know I am not alone anymore.

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone
Thank you all for your help, it is really useful info. I will contact SSAFA initially and try the other suggestions as required. I definitely think that help from Local Authority varies depending on where you live - as with so much in life. I'll let you know how I get on. I am so glad to have found talking point as I have felt so isolated in the last couple of years dealing with the heartbreak of Ben's illness. Now I know I am not alone anymore.

Yes, plz do let us know how you are getting on :) thoughts are with you xxxx

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
"I definitely think that help from Local Authority varies depending on where you live"

As well as the post code lottery the fact that you are asking for equipment to enable you to move Ben from a care home to your home rather than equipment to enable him to stay at home could also slow things down.

Aitchbee

Nov 3, 2013
My sister and I brought Mum home from a nursing home earlier this year. We didn't have a problem getting equipment. Barny is right in saying that profiling beds and air-flow mattresses are obtained via the District Nurses. The occupational therapist (local authority) got the other equipment for us. Your GP should do the referral to district nurses. It is hard trying to get all the help you need but keep asking :eek:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alister