I think my husband has dementia

Yasmine

Apr 9, 2015
My husband and I have been married for 23 years. He's a loving and soft spoken person. He's always been the "smart one", very intelligent and great sense of humor. Lately, for the past few months, I've noticed some odd changes in him. He's sometimes withdrawn, and when he does talk, he sometimes repeats the same thing as if he didn't realize he had just said it. The other day we were going to our son's house just 2 miles away, but my husband couldn't remember how to get there. When I talk to him about it, he gets very defensive, says I'm the one who's playing games with him. I've also noticed that his short term memory seems to slip more than usual, like forgetting where he parked the car or that his sister had called him a few days ago. I'm very worried, I don't know what to do. I've be reading stuff on the internet like http://www.curiosityaroused.com/health/10-causes-of-short-term-memory-loss/ or http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/142214.php and its got me really scared.

What should I do?

Last edited:

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Make an appointment for him with his GP and if he is willing have him tested for general reasons which could affect his memory eg blood tests etc. The doc will then give him a memory test if he finds no other reason. If this looks problematic he will send him to the Memory clinic. Just guide your husband through these steps calmly trying not to alarm him and reminding him that modern drugs may help to limit his memory loss.

Good luck.

Chuggalug

Mar 24, 2014
Norfolk
Yasmine, you're in the same place I was when it all started here. At first, for two or three years, friends and myself took it all in our stride, and never pushed for anything when my hubby couldn't remember when he was asked a question.

He was in a couple of biker clubs and mates would reminisce together about events they'd been to in the past. When it came to names and places, hubby's reply to any question would be: "Can't remember." Every single time.

Eventually, there came a time for me when I had to seek advice, as I just knew the memory loss was more serious, by then. You just know these things.

A chat with your GP couldn't hurt. I hope you'll get good advice ad support.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Yasmine

If your husband won`t go to the GP it is possibly because he feels something is wrong and is unable to face it.

I kept a diary of my husband`s behaviours and things which concerned me and took it to the GP myself. I did not discuss this with my husband , it only made things worse.

Trisha4

Jan 16, 2014
Yorkshire
It is certainly worth getting a diagnosis as there is medication that can slow the progress of Alzheimer's if that is what it turns out to be.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

Yasmine

Apr 9, 2015
Thanks for your help. We both have the same GP, so I will talk to him about it. My husbands yearly physical is due in a month so I guess that would be as good a time as any. Will keep you up to date.

Thanks again for the support!

sarahjg

Apr 15, 2015
Hi Yasmine- As others have said, it certainly would be worth a chat with your GP. We noticed my dad's memory going before he would admit to any problems and if there is any issue I'm sure the earlier it can be dealt with the better. All the best with everything and if you have any questions this forum is great. I've spent the last few years reading through posts on here and it has been a great source of help. x

Caz60

Jul 24, 2014
Lancashire
Different

Thanks for your help. We both have the same GP, so I will talk to him about it. My husbands yearly physical is due in a month so I guess that would be as good a time as any. Will keep you up to date.

Thanks again for the support!

Hi, I think the important thing to remember here is that your husband is different and the things no matter how trivial are not his norm.Good luck with your visit and please keep us posted .x

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Yasmine, if you can at all, do let the GP know of all your concerns and why (i.e. spell it out very clearly) before your husband's check-up. That way, the GP can do some probing, and maybe find a way to suggest further tests without alarming your husband or making him defensive.