I suspect my father may be struggling with dementia...

Discussion in 'Memory concerns and seeking a diagnosis' started by AztecCamera87, Mar 12, 2019.

1. Rosettastone57

Rosettastone57 Registered User

Oct 27, 2016
    My mother-in-law was like this. She had falls at home, but she was referred to the falls clinic who actually made a couple of home visits . But mother-in-law refused to engage with the physiotherapist and couldn't follow directions. Eventually, the visits were abandoned, due to her steep cognitive decline . I'm sorry to say, that eventually she needed someone with her constantly to prompt her to put one foot in front of another. This was one of the factors that led to full time care.

2. AztecCamera87

AztecCamera87 Registered User

Mar 12, 2019
    Two days ago, my dad was on his own for an hour between my sister going out and me coming home from work, in that hour he had managed to fall over backwards over a footstall and couldn't get up. No harm done at all, but if he had been about an inch taller he would have whacked his head on the old gas fire in the living room and could have ended up with a head injury.

Yesterday I was in tears at work for no reason whatsoever, lack of sleep, stressed, worrying about whats next and worrying about the mountain of things I need to arrange/sort out/etc. My line manager basically told me to go home (or rather, spend the afternoon doing something relaxing and then go home). In the London Borough we live in, there seems to be a real lack of support and help for carers and those with dementia. Most medical professionals seem happy enough to say everything is fine as soon as they know dad lives with son and daughter (I have explained before in my long rambles in this thread that the situation is rather more complex, as we both have partners and full time jobs etc). I have also found the memory clinic unhelpful once dad's diagnosis was confirmed and they have just referred me to speak with his GP.

3. AztecCamera87

AztecCamera87 Registered User

Mar 12, 2019
    Dads walking is getting worse. It's now taking him about 10 minutes To get from the couch to the bed on the other side of the room. I never thought the decline would be so quick.... His diagnosis is for Alzheimer's. I always thought the decline was slower than this? In the space of just over a year he has gone from caring for mum to needing support with eating, walking and we'll... Everything... Sad really.