I suspect my father may be struggling with dementia...

Discussion in 'Memory concerns and seeking a diagnosis' started by AztecCamera87, Mar 12, 2019.

1. Rosettastone57

Rosettastone57 Registered User

Oct 27, 2016
    My mother-in-law was like this. She had falls at home, but she was referred to the falls clinic who actually made a couple of home visits . But mother-in-law refused to engage with the physiotherapist and couldn't follow directions. Eventually, the visits were abandoned, due to her steep cognitive decline . I'm sorry to say, that eventually she needed someone with her constantly to prompt her to put one foot in front of another. This was one of the factors that led to full time care.

2. AztecCamera87

AztecCamera87 Registered User

Mar 12, 2019
    Two days ago, my dad was on his own for an hour between my sister going out and me coming home from work, in that hour he had managed to fall over backwards over a footstall and couldn't get up. No harm done at all, but if he had been about an inch taller he would have whacked his head on the old gas fire in the living room and could have ended up with a head injury.

Yesterday I was in tears at work for no reason whatsoever, lack of sleep, stressed, worrying about whats next and worrying about the mountain of things I need to arrange/sort out/etc. My line manager basically told me to go home (or rather, spend the afternoon doing something relaxing and then go home). In the London Borough we live in, there seems to be a real lack of support and help for carers and those with dementia. Most medical professionals seem happy enough to say everything is fine as soon as they know dad lives with son and daughter (I have explained before in my long rambles in this thread that the situation is rather more complex, as we both have partners and full time jobs etc). I have also found the memory clinic unhelpful once dad's diagnosis was confirmed and they have just referred me to speak with his GP.

3. AztecCamera87

Mar 12, 2019
    Dads walking is getting worse. It's now taking him about 10 minutes To get from the couch to the bed on the other side of the room. I never thought the decline would be so quick.... His diagnosis is for Alzheimer's. I always thought the decline was slower than this? In the space of just over a year he has gone from caring for mum to needing support with eating, walking and we'll... Everything... Sad really.

4. a8492

a8492 New member

Jul 24, 2019
    Every case is different. My grandmother can still do most things by herself, and she was diagnosed with AD three years ago on 2 December. She just needs help with some of them (e.g. tying her shoelaces).

Unfortunately, your dad's AD has been quite rapid. You may find that this is just one of the stages they go through. One thing the carer's always say to me is that the patient is seemingly OK for a while, and then they get worse quickly, before stabilising, wash, rinse, repeat.

I hope you're doing OK and making time to look after yourself, which is absolutely essential.

5. AztecCamera87

Mar 12, 2019
    Tough day today. Really need some advice from the collective mind of the forum.

Firstly, i had phone calls from the carer this afternoon while visiting my partner, due to dad beimg verbally aggressive and more aggitated than normal. Not good.

Secondly. My dad is leaning and slouching to the right when sitting down and when up on his feet. Is this normal behaviour? Could it be related to the donepzil medication?

Thirdly. My dad has been complaining about his pad digging into him, his skin around there is looking good, no obvious redness or signs of a rash. this is very new and he's been trying to take his penis out of his trousers. He starts complaining when hes about to pee mostly. Saying its hurting. Could it be the pee itself is hurting? Its impossible getting any answers from him with exactly whats causing the issue.

So yeah, anyone else had experience of this and suggestions?

6. nae sporran

nae sporran Volunteer Host

Oct 29, 2014
    Male
    Bristol
    On point 3, have you had your dad tested for a UTI at the surgery, AztecCamera87? That may relate to point 1 as well. Sorry if that is not helpful.

7. Bunpoots

Bunpoots Registered User

Apr 1, 2016
    Nottinghamshire
    I was thinking the same as nae sporran. A UTI or possibly constipation.

8. Flavelle

Flavelle Registered User

Jun 20, 2017
    My D leans dramatically to the left as he walks when he’s a bit under the weather...generally it’s either because he has developed a urine infection or is on the way towards one. It’s amazing how a mild ailment exacerbates symptoms of dementia, a full blown UTI causes delusions and sometimes hallucinations (in both my parent’s cases. Dad’s head n back were leaning so far left he would’ve keeled onto the ground without being held up, this was on Monday.It led to him slowly capsizing sideways onto a sofa, squashing his glasses into a wonky shape. He seemed happy sideways, I mean he clearly though that’s how he was meant to be as he struggled against efforts to straighten him. M got in a panic though, I was happy he was inside TBH in whatever shape. we. made a pint of lemon water with tons of sugar so he wouldn’t object too much and whooshed this into him the other day to alleviate symptoms it’s such a pain to go back & forth to the docs and have repeated antibiotics purely because not enough liquids are drunk. So far there’s been a bit of improvement and I haven’t had to get a urine sample to take in..yet. More sugary soupy lemon water I think Hope that helps

9. AztecCamera87

Mar 12, 2019
    Hi everyone. Thanks for the responses. Confirmed there isn't any UTI. So perhaps the increased aggitation is due to the Donepezil and just general changes in the weather? It does worry me when dad gets verbally aggressive to carers. My sister has noted a pattern of sorts, it tends to happen when younger new carers are attending to him.

Yesterday I was cleaning dad up after a mess. He started getting emotional as he thought mum had left him due to his incontinence. It was difficult, normaly when he asked about mum, i would say she wasnt home or was at the shops. This time I was left unable to give a real answer and just told him, that would never be the case. He was fine 10 minutes later. I wish i could see in his head.

10. AztecCamera87

Mar 12, 2019
    I wish i could give sugary lemon water. Dads diabetic, so no extra sugar outside of the allready regimented diet. I ensure he drinks a lot of water, especially when blood sugars are high. He lets out a lot of urine at night. So before i go to work i give him a large cup of water.

11. AztecCamera87

Mar 12, 2019
    I wish it was constipation. Then i wouldnt be putting on the latex gloves lol

12. AztecCamera87

Mar 12, 2019
    I kinda hoped it would be a UTI. At least it would have been an easy explanation!